Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my mandarin tree not flowering?

payel
Finding My Feet

Why is my mandarin tree not flowering?

My mandarine tree didn't bloom last year, but looks healthy.  I have owned the house for about a year and half and the tree was there qhen we bought it. I'm not sure if root stock has taken over or if the plant is immature.

Last year i had lots of leaf miner as well. The pic has some new leaves coming up, is the white part flowers ?

1000142012.jpg

 Kindly help.

1000142010.jpg

1000142011.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my mandarin tree not flowering?

Hello @payel 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your mandarin tree.

That first photo looks promising, and it looks like a flower bud coming out. It should reveal itself as the days progress, just keep an eye on it as it grows bigger. I suggest having a look at these discussions -Why is my Mandarin tree not fruiting? by @MrsW and Mandarin tree not flowering by @Stuardo. The possibilities range from lack of nutrients in the soil to the growing stock overtaking the grafted variety. If you can please tell us how often do you water it, and have you used any fertilizer on it lately?   

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to plant, grow and care for a mandarin tree

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
payel
Finding My Feet

In summer I water every alternate day. In winter it's once or twice a week depending on rain. 

I fertilize with osmocot citrus granules every 6 months. Also put seaweed solution in summer.

I'm worried if my grafted part has died off causing the plant to only produce leaves. But you did mention that the buds do look like flowers so fingers crossed. Adding  images. Please help. 

1000142033.jpg

1000142032.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @payel 

For the meantime, I suggest giving your mandarin tree a chance to sprout flowers as we are getting close to the end of winter. Those buds that have appeared could be the first flowers. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
payel
Finding My Feet

Thank Eric, I will keep you posted.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects