Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of grass do I have and what weed-killers can I use?

waltercflui
Finding My Feet

What kind of grass do I have and what weed-killers can I use?

Hi,I am totally new to gardening and I am puzzled by the kind of grass I have - it looks like buffalo but I am not so sure.

I also found some invading grass and weeds. I am interested in some weed and feed products but it looks they are for buffalo or non-buffalo? 🤔

Any recommendation for a newbie? 

Thank you so much! 🙂

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of grass do I have and what weed-killers can I use?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @waltercflui. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lawn care.

That looks like Buffalo to me. Regardless, as long as you use weed and feed products suitable for Buffalo, they'll be fine for all other grasses. I'd recommend you go with Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'N' Feed Hose On Weed Killer. The spray-on version is convenient to apply, but we also have a granular: Yates 10kg BuffaloPro Weed 'n' Feed Granular Weed Killer. It will knock off the clover you've pictured and various other common lawn weeds.

Here's a helpful guide: How to weed your lawn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much @MitchellMc , will give a go!

I would see if the "feed" element would help the sparse area that I could see the soil. 

Or I should consider seeding later on once the weeds are gone? 🤔

It depends on how sparse the area is @waltercflui. You typically won't find buffalo seeds in a packet. Your best best would be to re-turf the area.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks! The weed and feed hose start taking effect!

But at the same time there seems to be some invading grass species coming in (doesn’t look like weed). They look greener and flourish much faster than my other buffalo grass. I guess the weed and feed won’t help but what could I do to get rid of them?

IMG_1124.jpeg

IMG_1127.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @waltercflui,

It's great to see that your lawn is getting better after your use of the weed and feed.

It looks to me like you have some winter grass poking through the buffalo. 

I'd suggest applying Amgrow Winter Grass Killer to control it, ensuring you follow the manufacturer's instructions closely.

Please also ensure you wear gloves, eye protection, a mask and long protective clothing while applying this product.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects