Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these spots on my Tiny Trev lilly pilly

ethan_fr
Just Starting Out

What are these spots on my Tiny Trev lilly pilly

I recently picked up this tiny Trev Lilly Pilly for a bonsai from a nursery and had discovered many spots and holes on the leaves. I’m unsure what they are and how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these spots on my Tiny Trev lilly pilly

Hello @ethan_fr 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about lilly pilly.

Holes on the leaves is an indicator that it might have a pest eating the leaves. You'll need to investigate and have a look at the entire plant from top to bottom and under the leaves. It could either be an insect or a caterpillar. I can see some of the spots, but would it be possible for you post a closer photo of the damaged leaves with the spot on them?

Can you please tell us a little bit about the plant? Does it have a powdery texture on the leaves? Is there a distinct smell of mouldy wetness from the plant? Are there any black marks on the branches and is the soil under the plant damp or wet? 

Any extra information you can give us about your plant will help us figure out what's affecting it.

Here are some handy guides that will help:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ethan_fr 

In addition to Eric's comments: In your top photo, I refer specifically to the upright leaf almost in the centre of the image with the spots surrounded by a purplish hue.  This looks rather like a fungal infection not dissimilar to myrtle rust, where spots develop on the leaf of a reddish-purple colour, then the centres die and eventually drop out, leaving small holes over the leaves. It's a bit hard to tell definitively from your photo, so a close-up would be terrific if you can manage it.

There's information on myrtle rust and how to treat it in the links that Eric has included in his reply.

ethan_fr
Just Starting Out

IMG_3701.jpeg

IMG_3702.jpeg

Here are some closer photos.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ethan_fr 

Thanks for those extra pictures of your lilly pilly plant. It does appear to be myrtle rust with the telltale sign of a burned edge. Let me call on @Noelle so that she can see the picture as well. 

Myrtle rust can be controlled in the home garden with applications of copper fungicide or mancozeb

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using this product. Please remember to follow all the safety precautions printed at the back of the container.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed, @EricL . Looks to be myrtle rust to me.

Thanks for the assistance I’ll look at getting treatment for this issue. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ethan_fr,

Just to add to the conversation, you might like to have a look at How To Control Myrtle Rust for some further information.

Jacob

I also noticed these white spots on the underside of the leaves. Just wondering if they affect the diagnosis?image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @ethan_fr 

I believe they are part of the effect of myrtle rust. I propose using the recommended remedy and observing the plant for the next few weeks. If the white spots remain or other symptoms emerge, please take a close-up photo of the leaves and share it with the community.  

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects