Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for climbing plants on wall?

agdiy
Getting Established

Suggestions for climbing plants on wall?

Hi everyone,

It’s my first post and whilst I’ve done a fair bit of diy, I really don’t know what to do when it comes to plants.

I recently renovated our deck and it’s time to add some plants. I’m looking for some advice on some suitable climbing plants for one side of the deck where it’s a half wall. I’m going to install some uprights to run some wire horizontally and vertically (similar to something like this   https://www.bunnings.com.au/garden-zen-10m-wire-wall-plant-trainer-kit-tensioned_p0524492)

Here’s the wall I’m referring to:

IMG_8337.jpeg

I want to install some plants (in some wide pots, perhaps 3 or 4) along the length of the wall so they climb up the wire wall. I’m looking for some suggestions of plants which will provide good coverage (the aim is to have the wall quite densely covered). I’d like plants which aren’t going to shed much too. The wall is 5m in length and the height of the section is about 0.5m.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions for climbing plants on wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @agdiy. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about climbing plants.

There are several climbing plants I can think of that would work well to provide good coverage and minimal shedding. Star Jasmine is one of my personal favourites, known for its dense foliage and fragrant white flowers. It's evergreen and low-maintenance, making it ideal for your setup. Another option is Chinese Star Jasmine, which has smaller leaves but offers similar evergreen and dense growth. Climbing Fig is a fast-growing climber that clings to surfaces with aerial roots, providing lush, green coverage. Just be aware that it can damage the surface it clings to.

If you'd like to add some colour, Pandorea Jasminoides features trumpet-shaped flowers and is also evergreen. Another option would be Hardenbergia Violacea which is an Australian native climber with purple flowers that are evergreen and easy to care for. 

All of these plants should thrive in wide pots and help you achieve a densely covered wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
agdiy
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your response and the advice.

I’d seen other people had use the star Jasmine variety for similar things so I’ll give that a go and perhaps combine with another plant you mentioned.

Thanks again,

Andy

agdiy
Getting Established

Just a final picture to close this off. I went with the Star Jasmine as per the recommendation. I created a frame out of some timber uprights and ran steel wire so the plants had something to climb up. Hopefully we can train them to go horizontally and vertically to cover the section. Thanks for the advice Mitchell.

IMG_8383.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @agdiy,

Thank you for the update.

Star Jasmine is a fantastic plant and I'm sure it will make a beautiful backdrop for your deck.

You might like to check out How To Grow, Prune And Propagate Jasmine for a few tips to get the most out of your plants.

Jacob

agdiy
Getting Established

Thanks for the advice @JacobZ !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects