Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop weeds growing?

Divyashetty
Finding My Feet

How do I stop weeds growing?

Untitled.jpg

I would like to display an idol here with some lights. How do I stop any weeds growing here and what is the best was to make this square piece of land, flat and firm. Plants grow on both sides of this spot.Thank You.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I stop weeds growing in a certain area in the garden

Hi @Divyashetty,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

To prevent weeds growing, I propose removing the mulch from your garden bed and adding a layer of weed control mat held in place by weed mat pins

You can then grab some pavers that create a space large enough for the idol to sit on, and use some paver sand, a rubber mallet and a spirit level to create a flat and level platform for the idol to sit on.

Once the weed mat and pavers are in place, return the mulch to the garden.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Thank You. Sounds like a great idea. Will give it a try and see how I go.

I got a little confused checking some videos. Do I need to use mortar cement?

Can I just put the Pavers onto the weed mat? We will not be walking on it. just placing the planter on it and placing an idol in it.

Where do I use the paver sand?

My first project. Please guide.

Divyashetty_0-1725108195958.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Divyashetty,

Either mortar or paving sand can be used in this application. 

Mortar will help lock the pavers in place, but you need to mix it and there is only a certain amount of workable time whereas paver sand does not set so you can take your time getting things nice and level.

I've advised using paving sand because you will simply need to put a bag or two directly onto the weed matting, smooth and level and then place the pavers on top and tap them into place with your rubber mallet, checking for level as you go. As paving sand doesn't set, you can take your time and ensure things are perfectly level.

Once the pavers are in place, reinstate the mulch and put your idol in place on the pavers.

Let me know if you require further clarification.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects