Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pest man sprayed my grapevine: are the grapes now ruined?

emmz
Growing in Experience

Pest man sprayed my grapevine: are the grapes now ruined?

Recently had a pest control company come in to spray for spiders as we have a tonne of redbacks and white tips. I have a grapevine growing on the fence and he was specifically told and showed to not spray anywhere near the grapevine and ofcourse he didn't listen and sprayed all around it. He sprayed the fence topper above, enough to create a waterfall down the fence line as well as the wind  was blowing the spray onto the leaves... My question is should I now remove all baby grapes that are growing. Would they now be inedible? 

17296451469244634870184815034760.jpg

17296451934525644131459833134778.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pest man sprayed my grapevine are the baby grapes now ruined?

Hi @emmz,

It’s understandable to be concerned, especially since the pest spray seems to have made direct contact with your grapevine. Unfortunately, without knowing the exact chemicals used, it’s difficult to say definitively whether the grapes are safe to eat. 

If you can, try to find out from the pest control company what product was used. They should be able to provide a safety data sheet or label information that indicates whether the chemicals are safe to use around edible plants. If the chemical isn't approved for use around food crops, the safest option would be to remove the grapes, as ingesting them could pose health risks.

Additionally, consider washing down the grapevine thoroughly, but be aware that this might not entirely remove any absorbed chemicals. For now, until you have more information, I would lean toward erring on the side of caution and removing the grapes to prevent any potential health issues. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
emmz
Growing in Experience

Re: Pest man sprayed my grapevine are the baby grapes now ruined?

Thank you for that, I will simply remove grapes as that seems to be the safest option. Such a shame as the vine is full this year

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects