Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help saving my tree!

tom138
Having an Impact

Need help saving my tree!

Hi there, just wondering if I can get some advise on how to save this tree. As you can see from the pictures it is not doing very well. It has lost a lot of leaves. Lost of branches appear to be dead and it is covered in some sort of moss (or fungi?). It should have beautiful purple flowers this time of year.

2DE1BBD0-C00A-434D-BCE0-F216D40EE302.jpeg

56A17B0A-CC33-45E7-825B-376E21E8643B.jpeg

4ACB9EDE-A7F7-4E7E-81C0-84B15A3DA90D.jpeg

We have given it some Seasol two weeks ago but it didn’t seem to help.

Thanks,

Tom

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help saving my tree!

Hi @tom138,

The "fungi" you mentioned is actually lichen, which typically isn't harmful to trees, so that shouldn't be a major concern. However, the loss of leaves and dead branches suggest there could be something else affecting the tree. It might be worth getting an arborist to assess it and help determine the underlying issue. They’ll be able to advise whether the tree can be saved and what treatments might help.

Sometimes, environmental factors like changes in soil, water, or nearby construction can stress a tree. Have there been any recent changes that could have impacted it? It could also be useful to check for pests or signs of root damage. If you've noticed anything else, and I can try to guide you further.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc,

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that the green stuff isn’t harmful. 

As for recent changes - yes I can think of one that is very likely related. The tree roots got into my stormwater pipe and completely clogged it. So I replaced the broken section and had to cut a bunch of the roots in the process. I hadn’t realised how much would it affect the tree at the time but even if I had I really had no choice as my gutters were overflowing and causing major issues. 

The question is whether can I do something to help the tree survive this surgery and help it recover without it interfering with my stormwater pipe?

thanks for your help as always 

Tom

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you've removed substantial roots, then the tree is likely in a state of rebalancing itself @tom138. It might not be able to sustain all the branches now and has decided to let some dieback to save itself. I'd prune any branches that have died entirely and wait and see how it goes.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects