Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this tree a Giant Bird of Paradise or a Banana Tree?

Ron4
Just Starting Out

Is this tree a Giant Bird of Paradise or a Banana Tree?

Hi,
    I am really hoping to get conclusive answers on which tree is this as shown in the photos. I have received mixed responses so far. 

Thanks

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help identifying which tree is this?

Hi @Ron4,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

I am fairly confident that it is a bird of paradise tree, possibly a Strelitzia Nicholai- Giant White Bird of Paradise.

Did you have any images of it when it was flowering? 

Unlike the bright orange and blue flowers of the smaller bird of paradise, the giant white variety has flowers that are primarily white with some blue and dark accents.

Allow me to tag @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Help Needed: Which tree is this? Is it Giant Bird of Paradise or a Banana Tree?

Hi @Ron4 

Yes I would have to agree with Jacob - Giant Bird of Paradise, Strelitzia nicolai.

Ron4
Just Starting Out

Thanks JacobZ, appreciate your reply. Do you have any tips on maintaining this tree? It has grown quite tall and needs pruning but I am not sure how to best prune it without damaging the tree itself.

Ron4
Just Starting Out

Re: Help Needed: Which tree is this? Is it Giant Bird of Paradise or a Banana Tree?

Thanks, Noelle for confirming.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ron4

When pruning a tall Giant Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia nicolai), you want to be careful not to damage the plant while maintaining its shape and health. Start by cutting away any dead, yellow, or damaged leaves at the base of the stem where they join the trunk. This helps the plant focus its energy on new growth. If you're trying to control the height or shape it, focus on the tallest stems and cut them as close to the base as possible to avoid leaving stubs that could look messy. Make sure your pruning shears or saw are sharp to ensure clean cuts and reduce the risk of damage. It's best to prune when the weather’s warm so the plant can heal quickly. Be mindful not to overdo it, though, as part of the plant’s charm is its natural structure. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects