Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use garden edging?

redcamper
Getting Established

How to use garden edging?

When using this merbau border roll, if I were to put a third of it in the ground, will it rot?

Do I need to use pegs or posts when using this to make it stand straight?

What kind of timber oil is recommended and safe if I were to plant veggies/ fruit trees?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-2m-merbau-tapered-garden-border-roll_p3321641

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use garden edging

Hi @redcamper,

Ideally, it would be best to have the roll above ground level, as the constant contact with moisture under the soil will lead to the early onset of decay. I'd suggest driving Growies 50 x 25mm 300mm Hardwood Gardens Stakes into the garden bed behind the edging. You can then attach the edging to the stakes with screws. Remember to pre-drill the merbau to avoid splitting.

A standard exterior or decking oil would be suitable for the edging, will be safe to use, and have no effect on nearby plants or veggies.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. Can I use this as a circular border for a tree? The soil will be raised as well, hence the soil will be in contact with the back of the roll. Is there anything that I can use as a moisture barrier?

It can be used for a circular border @redcamper. I'd recommend stapling Builder's plastic to the back of it as a moisture barrier.

Mitchell

Great. Are any of the Lattice Makers hardwood garden stakes pre-treated? 

We have the Rola Pak 300mm Timber Edging Stakes - 4 Pack which are treated pine @redcamper. None of the hardwood stakes are treated. If you wanted to use the hardwood you could paint the ends going in the ground with bitumen paint to help inhibit decay.

Mitchell

Actually I don't want treated as they would be close to fruit trees/veggies. Should I go for the hardwood then? 

Hardwood would be the way to go, @redcamper!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects