Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Camellia with bumpy leaves?

payel
Finding My Feet

How to treat Camellia with bumpy leaves?

I bought this camellia from bunnings in Autumn and its still in the bunnings pot. This didn't grow or flower in winter and now almost all the leaves have this black bumpy thing going on(refer image). One-two new leaves have started coming up and are not yet infected. Weirdly, i dont see any aphids or white flies, maybe I'm don't know how to spot them and this substance is on both sides of the leaves. What to do ?

1000167798.jpg

1000167799.jpg1000167800.jpg

1000167801.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: camellia leaf problem

Hello @payel 

Thanks for sharing your question about your camellia. Can you please provide us with a bit of information regarding your watering habits, and how often have you fertilized the camellia? Where is the plant located? Is it in a sunny spot or a very well shaded area? Another thing you can check is the dampness of the soil. I propose digging down the soil about 20mm and see if the soil is damp. If it is, odds are that water is not draining out fast enough and is lingering inside the pot.

My only other question is when did you start noticing the spot on the leaves? I also suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to diagnose a sick plant by @Noelle. Any other information you can provide about your camellia will help us narrow down the cause of its ailment.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: camellia leaf problem

Hi @payel (and @EricL )

This looks very much like black spot, a fungal disease more often associated with roses but which can also attack camellias, although it is not all that common. Black spot is more prevalent in areas that experience high humidity and minimal air circulation, so make sure your pot receives a good amount of sun during the day and plenty of space to ensure good air movement. Don't over-water.

The suggested treatment is to apply a fungicide treatment - one for the control of black spot on roses would be most suitable - in accordance with the label directions.

Any leaves that drop should be collected up and put into the household rubbish bin - do not add them to compost or leave them lying on the potting mix or soil as the fungal spores could inoculate new leaves.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects