Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive potted lemon tree?

jigisanghvi
Just Starting Out

How to revive potted lemon tree?

Hi, 

I live in Brunswick West.

My lemon tree initially lost most of its trees due to underwatering. This stems never got the leaves back.

I'm using the Osmote citrus tree potting mix, in spring feeding my tree with seasol and I'm also spraying the plant with insect spray.

The new leaves continue to be eaten, the fruit has dark spot, and half the plant doesn't have leaves. 

1000047987.jpg

1000047984.jpg

1000047983.jpg

1000047982.jpg

1000047985.jpg

   

1000047986.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Struggling with potted lemon tree

Hi @jigisanghvi,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Your lemon tree definitely looks to be having a rough time at the moment.

Are you aware of what specific species of lemon tree this is? Also, a rough estimate of its age? 

It is clear that something is eating your lemon tree leaves, but have you seen what it is? Is it small bugs, or caterpillars? If you had any photos, it would certainly help our members to advise a method of preventing further insect attacks.

Due to its poor health, the first thing you should do is remove any fruit and prune dead growth. At present, due to the condition of your plant, directing energy towards fruiting and redundant growth is not in its long-term interests. Removing the fruit and dead growth will direct the tree's energy towards more important things such as redeveloping leaf cover.

I'd suggest pruning the low branches back by around a third of their length. This will encourage new growth from these stems which will hopefully develop leaves over time.

I'd then suggest applying a citrus fertilizer such as Scotts Osmocote 500g Citrus and Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser as opposed to Seasol. Seasol is what's called a plant tonic. It gives a quick boost to the plant, however, it does not give extended nutrients like a slow-release fertilizer will.

I'll tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural expert to see what she would advise in terms of pruning, fertiliser and insecticides.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your reply. 

The plant was gifted to me in October last year. I don't know the species but i do know it was bought from bunnings (with the wodden support) in OCT 23. I repotted it to current pot in late July.

I have seen some caterpillars. I have sprayed 'Yates 750ml Nature's Way Vegie And Herb Pest Spray' + just started to use Yates 500mL Thrive Citrus Liquid Plant Food.

Last week,  2 big lemons were half chewed and left in the pot..(never happened before)

So I guess:

- I will cut back the stems as you suggested 

- continue to use the citrus fertiliser that you have suggested. Should this be used once every week for now?

Anything else, as I'm not sure if we have caterpillar problem or possum problem (or both).

- is there a need to change the pot?

Thank you again

Hi @jigisanghvi 

I agree with the processes Jacob has outlined so far.

Remove all fruit (the half eaten ones that fell could have been nibbled by possums), and prune the tree back quite hard. This will encourage new growth, which will start to appear from now to the end of October.

Choose one fertiliser and use only that for the time being.  The Osmocote Citrus & Fruit Controlled Release Plant Food is a slow release food and should be used only once every 6 months.

The base of the trunk looks like it may have a little rot around the soil line - this is called collar rot.  If it is present then treat with Yates Liquid Copper Fungicide. Collar rot may be cause of other symptoms.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jigisanghvi,

As @Noelle has said, stick with using the slow-release fertiliser once every 6 months.

I don't think you'll need to change the pot just yet, but you should start monitoring how long it takes for the soil to dry out while watering. 

In warmer months watering every 5-7 days is normal, whereas in winter 10-14 days between watering is normal. 

If the soil begins to dry out extremely quickly after watering, it is an indication that the root mass is hitting a level where it will require repotting.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects