Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix my grass that's very thin?

beatriceb
Getting Established

How can I fix my grass that's very thin?

Our grass is very thin, as pictured. We also have moss growing through it in areas. We also occasionally notice small mud mounds with a little hole, as though there is something living in our soil. See pictures attached. Be glad of any comments on how to repair our lawn to a healthy lawn for summer. Thank you 

1000324404.jpg

1000324405.jpg

1000324406.jpg

  

1000324407.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix my grass that's very thin

Hi @beatriceb,

Thank you for sharing the details and photos of your lawn. It looks like the main issue here is compacted soil, which is preventing your grass from thriving. I would recommend thoroughly aerating the lawn, which will help loosen up the soil and allow air, water, and nutrients to reach the roots. Once aerated, spreading topsoil or sand over the lawn can further improve the soil structure, allowing the Buffalo grass to breathe and encouraging it to spread and fill in the thin areas. Without addressing the compaction, the grass will continue to struggle.

As for the moss, it’s likely growing in areas where the grass has receded, potentially due to both the compaction and insufficient sunlight. You could try using Manutec 2.5kg Moss Killer and Lawn Food to remove the moss. After treating the moss, follow up by aerating those areas and consider laying new turf or encouraging the existing grass to spread.

The holes are likely from some type of beetle, and unless there are dozens of them all over the place, they are not of particular concern.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc - much appreciated! After aerating and spreading topsoil, would you suggest spreading more seed to thicken up the lawn? If so, how long should we wait after the above process, before adding seed? 

Not too sure on grass types either, but I noticed you mentioned Buffalo Grass - what's your recommendations on the best seed to use, to keep it the same (if you feel it is good to add more)?

Regarding the holes, some days we would notice anywhere between 20-50 of these. Guessing the above process, may assist, but if you think we should do something more, I'd be glad to know.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, you won't often find Buffalo seed being sold, unlike other common lawn types @beatriceb. So, the best option at this time is to aerate, topdress, fertilise and encourage it to infill.

Regarding the holes in the lawn, you can use a product like Richgro 2L Hose On Lawn Beetle And Grub Killa designed to control lawn beetles, grubs and other insects.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects