Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repot my Orange tree?

barbs01
Building a Reputation

How to repot my Orange tree?

IMG20240825102312.jpg

IMG20240825102307.jpg

Hi fellow gardeners, hoping somebody can give me some advice please. I have a potted Navel orange Tree ( approx 4 years old ) in a black plastic pot 100 litres. it has been struggling to produce fruit, it only had 6 small oranges this year ( first crop ). I'm not sure if the potting mix is old and depleted or being in a plastic pot the roots are not growing from poor drainage and oxygen exchange, or are spiralled around the pot.

I wanted to repot it into a larger grow bag with improved new potting mix with the hope it will grow out and produce more growth and fruit, but I am not sure whether it is too late now. It has just started to produce new leaves and flower buds. If I repot it now will it go into transplant shock and drop it's flowers? Should i leave it alone and wait until next winter? Thank You :smile:

barbs01
Building a Reputation

Re: How to repot my Orange tree?

Thanks very much Noelle 🙂

barbs01
Building a Reputation

Re: How to repot my Orange tree?

Hi Noelle, can I please ask you for some advice if possible. When I repotted my orange tree I also repotted my imperial mandarin tree, but it was already looking sick. It had dropped most of its leaves and had scale on the branches and was developing brown die back on the new growth. Since repotting it it has lost all its leaves and the die back has worsened, even though I have pruned it back several times. Any new growth has also quickly turned brown after sprouting. I sprayed the scale with an eco oil, and also sprayed the tree with a copper spray for fungus, as well as applying a product to the soil called 'Rot Stop' which is a hydroponic liquid to treat soil and root pathogens. Nothing has worked this far and the tree is dying. What can I do please Noelle to save this tree? Thanks so much 🙏

IMG20240919113522.jpg

IMG20240919113620.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects