Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Gardenia leaves going yellow?

DolceVita
Getting Established

How to treat Gardenia leaves going yellow?

I purchased this Gardenia from Bunnings a few months ago and have planted in a pot using the rose / gardenia potting mix.

The leaves are starting to yellow and I don’t know what is wrong.

The plant gets some morning sun, is sheltered from winds etc and the soil is moist.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

IMG_0833.jpegIMG_0832.jpegIMG_0835.jpegIMG_0834.jpeg could be the problem?

Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gardenia Help

Hi @DolceVita,

Thank you for your question about yellow leaves on your gardenia.

Iron deficiency is a common cause of yellowing leaves, especially in gardenias. The leaves may turn yellow, but the veins remain green. This condition, called chlorosis, often occurs in alkaline soils where iron becomes less available to the plant.

My suggestion is to apply some Manutec Iron Sulphate Soluble to the base of the plant following the manufacturer's instructions for mixing.

I'd also suggest having a read through Growing Gardenias: How To Grow Gardenias for some further advice.

Also, allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural expert to see if she has any other advice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to treat Gardenia leaves going yellow?

Hi @DolceVita 

Looks like a definite case of chlorosis to me too! Follow Jacob's advice and you will be well on the way to curing the problem.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects