Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to oil an old deck?

shiretony
Finding My Feet

How to oil an old deck?

Hi all, glad to be here!

We've just bought our first home, and we've inherited a double deck and pool deck.  The previous owners said I could simply put a new coat of deck oil on the deck, and left the remains of a tin of Cutek oil. The marketing blurb seems to indicate I can do that also.

IMG-20240808-WA0012.jpg

But on closer inspection and talking with some of the staff at Bunnings, I am not convinced.

I can see the deck has a number of patches where oil is worn off, and what appears to be remnants of an earlier decking product.  I'm also not convinced this is the actual colour though this doesn't look bad at all.

I guess I'm trying to work out if I can just apply the old prouduct, pressure wash or desk scrub, or if I will also need to sand this back (there is quite a lot of deck here).

So I have a few questions, I would really appreciate help with.:

What wood is this?

Does anyone have experience with this Cutek or equivalent product?  Seem Bunnings used to carry this but have since discontinued it.

Should I pressure wash/deck scrub or both?

IMG-20240808-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0011.jpgIMG-20240808-WA0003.jpgIMG-20240808-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240808-WA0007.jpg

Should I sand back?

I noticed the desk scrubbing chemicals say 'poison' on them, so I'm a bit concerned about using next to the pool - any advice?

One of the decks is elevated, do I need special precautions here?

Is winter a good time to do this, or should I wait for warmer weather?

Looking forward to getting this project going and sharing the results.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to oil an old deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shiretony. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a deck.

That looks to be Merbau decking.

The option is there to sand your deck back, though it looks in quite good condition apart from the watermarks seen. I'd be inclined to give it a good scrub down with Cabot's 1L Deck Clean - 1L to see how it comes up. If the staining is diminished, then you'll be right to coat the deck with new oil. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck. If the staining remains, you might like to sand the deck back to remove it.

Provided you are not flushing the deck cleaner off and into the pool, there are no concerns with using the product next to it. If there's a chance that the product could enter the pool, I'd recommend using a tarp to shield the pool during the process and work carefully around the edge. When flushing the cleaner off, direct the spray of your hose away from the pool. Also, remember to wear appropriate PPE, including a face mask, safety glasses, rubber gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear.

Cleaning an elevated deck is fine, provided there is just soil under it. Once again, use a tarp to shield anything you do not wish to have covered in the product. If plants are nearby, make sure to use enough fresh water in the cleaning process to dilute and flush off the product.

The cleaning and re-oiling can certainly be done now.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I asked the old owner, and he told me that its spotted gum, and the deck oil is clear.

I've got my oxalic acid, deck brush and pressure washer, just waiting for slightly better weather then I'll go at it.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shiretony 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the deck re-oiled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects