Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve damp and dark corner of the garden?

amy2
Growing in Experience

How to improve damp and dark corner of the garden?

Wanting ideas how to transform this corner in my yard. It doesn’t get a lot of sun, and the ground is often damp/wet. The grass doesn’t grow well either. Any ideas of adding pavers, garden bed? Lots of worms in the soil. 

56DBADE9-E9B5-4305-A408-5B0225FE5E32.jpeg

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Re: How to improve this space?

Hi @amy2 

Looks like a great little spot for a water feature, some ferns & bromeliads. 

I have a shady spot in my garden I'm slowly turning into a little oasis. You can check out some of my projects on my profile but here is an idea of what i'm doing. 

20240330_133446.jpg20240710_123836.jpg

I also wouldn't remove the tree I would plant on it to create a vertical garden as well. Below is an image I saved as inspiration. 

bromeliads-2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amy2,

I love @Herrenovacation's idea of creating a garden corner featuring shade-loving plants. Here's a helpful guide: How to choose plants for a shaded area. Bromeliads, ferns, vinca, native violets and hostas would all be fabulous options. By creating layers and bringing some colour into the area you'll create yourself a lovely little tropical garden to enjoy. I've added a quick rendering below, but you could certainly expand on the number and variety of plants included.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Lot's of gardens have ugly spaces like this @amy2 . Looks like it's a low light area as well. Looks like a great spot for a fernery to me. Looks like you already have a little fern growing up the retaining wall there. Duck into your nursery and look for some hardy ferns - try to get some that will grow to different heights. Some Stag or Elk ferns on the retaining wall or shed would add to the effect.They'll normally cope with the wetter soil as well. If you can get a tree fern it would be a nice centre piece. 

Or shade loving plants if you don't like the idea of a fernery. Bromeliads or Guzmanias are a good starting point. 

If you are in the warmer parts of Australia (say North of Sydney) you could always plant some nice tropical foliage plants instead or in combination.  Some Crotons. Cordylines, Helliconias. 

1st job would be pulling out that old dead tree trunk and putting some good wood chip mulch down. 

I did see this post here on Workshop recently - similar thing: Re: Painted fence and shade garden | Bunnings Workshop community

Love to see the completed photos. 

Good luck. 

amy2
Growing in Experience

Hi Herrenovacation,

Thank you so much for your pictures to give me a visual idea of improving this space. i like the idea of keeping the tree trunk and making it into a vertical garden. i also like the idea of pavers in the garden to add a feature. I will check out your other projects. 

amy2
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your ideas. This rendering has given me a visual for what the possibilities are to create with this space. i will check out that link you sent me to research plant ideas for the area. 

amy2
Growing in Experience

Hi Robchin,

Thank you so much for contributing your ideas. i like the idea of looking for various ferns to add to the space. i live in Northern NSW, so yes its warmer part of Australia. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects