Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of grass is this?

wasabiusagi
Finding My Feet

What type of grass is this?

Hi there. We are looking to start our garden renos. We have a blank canvas (besides concrete) and I'm just not sure how to get started. I'm not even sure what Grass we have (or even if it is grass). 

Long term plan would be have grass in the middle with garden beds across the side and back for bushes/plants. 

If I do have grass- what would be the recommendation to start to improve the area? 

garden picture 1.jpggarden picture 2.jpggarden picture 3.jpggarden picture 4.jpggarden picture 5.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of grass is this?

Hello @wasabiusagi 

Thank you very much for sharing photos of your lawn. It appears to be buffalo lawn, but there are also a great number of weeds mixed in which make identification difficult. It appears that lawn has not been taken care of for some time. 

You can slowly rejuvenate the lawn by aeration and fertilizing the existing soil. This is a long process of mowing down the lawn and seeking out the weeds that will eventually grow faster than the lawn. Eventually the real lawn will recover, and you can seed the bald spots to patch the lawn.

The other option is to start from scratch, kill and uproot the existing lawn then roll out new turf on the soil. This will involve using chemical sprays such as Roundup 5L Fast Ready To Use Pump N Go Weedkiller.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you control weeds in lawn?

Here are some handy guides that will help:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the chemical spray. Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions printed at the back of the container.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects