Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend a garden tap

dgb278
Finding My Feet

How to extend a garden tap

I have put an aluminium fence around a feature garden at the back of my home and need to extend the garden tap approx 25cm along the back of the house so that it is accessible without having to enter the enclosed area.  The hose tap seems to be a standard type, attached to copper tubing.

Is it possible/acceptable to use a gal or brass elbow where the existing tap is, then use gal or brass pipe for the extension?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend a garden hose?

Hello @dgb278 

Thanks for sharing your question about extending your garden hose. Just a friendly reminder that any plumbing work must be carried out by a licensed plumber for safety and compliance.

If you are planning on a permanent fixed extension, the plumber would probably use copper pipe, especially if the distance is not that great. I propose having a look at the Brasshards Garden Tap Post 15/20mm Black Lead Free as a possible extension outlet. 

However, if you're after a temporary extension I recommend using a standard cut garden hose with fittings to meet the 25cm gap. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice, Eric. Exactly what parts would I need for the extension? The existing tap would have to be removed, then a 90 degree elbow put in it's place. A length of pipe (what type) fitted to the elbow, then the tap fitted to the end of the pipe and the pipe secured to the house with a bracket.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dgb278,

As any work on pressurised plumbing lines requires a plumbing licence, it would be best to confirm what products to use with your plumber. They will generally supply materials as part of their service.

It is likely they would use materials along the lines of Kembla 1/2" x 1.5m Copper Straight Length, SmarteX-PRESS 15mm Copper Straight Couplings, SmarteX-PRESS 15mm 90° Copper Elbows and Kinetic 15mm Copper Pipe Saddle Clips.

Please note that these materials require extremely expensive press tools such as this Ridgid RP241 Press Tool Kit With 4 Jaws for them to be usable.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks for the advice Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects