Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need ideas for landscaping backyard

BeniT
Just Starting Out

Need ideas for landscaping backyard

IMG_7786.jpeg

This is my back yard which gets little sun.  I had the weeds removed which left little grass.  As it’s a stepped garden with 4 separate sections, I thought I’d put artificial grass or turf on the top section, paving on one section and the other two sections fill with woodchips/pebbles/stepping stones.  I have no idea. Any suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need ideas for landscaping backyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BeniT. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lanscaping.

It sounds like you've got a fantastic plan in mind for your backyard, especially considering the low-light conditions. Exploring alternatives to grass is definitely a smart move in this situation. When deciding on surfaces for each area, it’s essential to first consider how you want to use the space.

For instance, if you're thinking of adding furniture, a hard surface like pavers or a deck with a gazebo over the top would provide a sturdy foundation and make the area more functional for gatherings. If you envision a cozy fire pit, a surface of pebbles could create a warm and inviting atmosphere while ensuring good drainage.

Planning out each section based on its intended use will help you match the right surfaces to their functions. For example, the top section with artificial grass could serve as a soft play area, while paving in another area could become a dining or entertainment space. The remaining sections filled with woodchips or stepping stones could add visual interest and make navigation through the garden easier.

Ultimately, consider how you’ll interact with each area and how the surfaces will complement the overall look of your garden. Taking the time to thoughtfully plan out these spaces will not only enhance the functionality of your backyard but also create a cohesive and enjoyable outdoor environment.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects