Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a garden bed with seating area?

nirmal678
Getting Established

How to create a garden bed with seating area?

I am willing to make garden bed and sitting area as shown in this picture. But have few questions :-

1) Are these beds made out of concrete and then rendered or it can also be build using timber and then attach rendered board on top of them to give them similar look ? 

2) Is the flooring next to turf is concrete ? Garden inspirationGarden inspiration 

Re: How to create a garden bed with seating area?

Amazing idea … Thanks a lot sir … 

Hi @MitchellMc , 

should I use 50mm or 75mm sleepers ? I am thinking of using 75mm where I have seating area and 50mm for the rest. 

Or 75mm is only for the post ? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nirmal678,

I'd suggest your plan of using 75mm sleepers as posts and where the seats are is a good idea as the thicker timbers will have more weight bearing capacity.

50mm sleepers should be fine for the rest assuming they are sufficiently anchored to your 75mm posts.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

nirmal678
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc ,

I have done below so far but a long way to go. 

I want to use composite decking boards on floating seating bench. How should I approach it ? Should I make a frame and then screw boards on top of that ? InspirationInspiration

456437481_3561492510807904_724046732787863568_n.jpg

Hi @nirmal678,

Great work. Yes, that is what I would suggest. Construct a frame and then screw the decking boards onto it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc ,

I am looking for a bench like this. Is it a pine decking which is stained ? 

I can't find pine decking with this width. 

nirmal678_0-1725848038115.png

Hi @nirmal678,

That appears to be some kind of hardwood which is at least 35mm thick. Decking typically goes up to 19mm thick. I'd recommend speaking with a Special Orders team member at your closest store to see what might be available from the suppliers in your area. We can order a range of Hardwood that would look amazing for your project. Something like this 190 x 35mm 1.8m Outdoor Framing F27 Hardwood KD Solid would look amazing.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc , I checked with the store and it seems it will be way over my budget so I settled with this. One last thing which I am not able to figure out is the stain on this decking pine ?? 

IMG_2249.jpeg

Hi @nirmal678,

Once again, that appears to be some kind of hardwood, not Pine. It wouldn't really be possible to use decking Pine and stain it to resemble such a colour. I recommend you visit your local store's paints department to check out the timber samples on display with stains on them. This will give you a much better idea of what can be achieved.

The other option might be to use Tasmanian Oak, which is much closer to that colour. However, it's not as durable as hardwoods and must be coated to prevent deterioration in the weather.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects