Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a mobile garden shed?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to build a mobile garden shed?

Hello BW,

For a Garden shed, that fits in to the space as shown in below image, appreaciate any inputs on this subject. The requirements are as below

1. Storage of garden tools

2. Storage of Manure, soil, Mulch (around 3 X 25L each)

3. Couple of other items / parts associated with gardening.

4. Can that be mobile (Installing Wheels underneath) for cleaning the fence or at times when required.

5. Are there are blindspots which I have not looked at.

nagumuthu_0-1676189727689.png

Should an off the shelf Garden Shed, be suitable, kindly ping the link. If there are any inspirational custom made projects, kindly leave the link to the thread.

Thanks for your time.

Happy Gardening.

MM

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a mobile garden shed?

Hi @nagumuthu,

There are a couple of neat of-the-shelf storage units that could fit this area, including the Lifetime 69.8 x 136 x 171.7cm Vertical Plastic Storage Shed and Suncast 0.81 x 0.64 x 1.82m Sand Plastic Resin Vertical Storage Shed. There's also the steel Build-a-Shed 0.8 x 0.8 x 2m Skillion Single Hinged Door Shed - Green, which would be worth considering. The main issue with a purchased unit is that although the smaller sheds are quite lightweight and easily moved, they don't have the option of being able to be wheeled out of the area. You could look at retrofitting some trolley wheels to the unit.

Do you need to store long tools in the shed? If not, we also have some large outdoor storage boxes. The Mimosa 120 x 45 x 45cm Timber Outdoor Storage Box and Keter 227L Hudson Outdoor Storage Bench would double as a lovely seat to relax in and enjoy your garden.

If you were looking for something on wheels, then you'd likely have to construct it yourself. I've created the below rendering to illustrate an option. Also, you might like to check out this step-by-step guide on How to build a garden tool storage rack. @Catldoo also created a wonderful potting bench with garden tool storage.

I'm keen to assist further with designing your mobile garden shed, so please let me know if you have any requirements or dimensions it needs to suit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I have used those trolley wheels Mitch has recommended - they're quite good for the price.

For me - I'd be trying four wheels - and steel, for durability outdoors.

The 20mm square tube and 16mm round tube are from Bunnings. From memory the 16mm tube is designed for go-cart projects and has pre-drilled holes at the end for cotter pins (which I didn't use).

So two axles and four wheels and then attach wood to make a platform for the garden shed. Possibly an attachment for a handle at the front so that you can pull it wherever you want to.

The tube fits very snugly into the square tube (no need to weld in place) and I used a half inch imperial Whitworth bolt shortened to 25mm which I tapped a thread for.

Just a thought.

20230213_125830.jpg

20230213_125843.jpg

20230213_130246.jpg

@nagumuthu,

you might also consider putting the steel frame on some sort of pillars so the wheels don't touch the ground.

The reason for this is to avoid them carry the entire weight of your shed all the time which might make them deflate over time. The height of these pillars should be lower than the distance of the axle to the ground so you can fit (using your car's wheel lifter, for example) the wheels should you need to move the shed to access the pit.

Afternoon Mr Squirrel!  @TheHandySqirrel 

That is an excellent idea you have. When I first saw @nagumuthu 's mobile shed idea, I originally thought - all steel wheels. But is this too much engineering and metal sourcing trouble?

Can be done.Can be done.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Another thought is to utilise @TheHandySqirrel 's idea of chocking up the shed - until the wheels are required.

I did something similar with a silly Holden Rodeo back end trailer I have. The wheels are too far forward - so if you for example loaded it with a cubic metre of concrete mix aggregate and loaded it too far at the back - when you unhitch, you smash your jaw when it kicks you in the face.

To combat this I welded up a frame that fitted under the trailer - exposing a solid square tube rail. Prior to unhitching I remove two plastic covers to slide the same wheels as above on - remembering each wheel is rated at 300lbs.

The partial axles for the wheels are more robust and the thread is cut on 16mm rod.

It has saved my face more than once.

Make four similar mini-axle wheels for the frame - move the tool shed into position, chock it up and remove the wheels for storage until needed again.

Just another thought.

20230213_162236.jpg

20230213_162808.jpg

20230213_162826.jpg

20230213_162851.jpg

Hi @Noyade,

That might fit a convict-era themed garden. Depends on how often you might have to move the shed, and on the strength of the human pulling it. No issues with deflation, that's for sure. :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects