Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a balcony strawberry garden bed?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

How to build a balcony strawberry garden bed?

Hi All,

I've been given some strawberry plants which, I've been warned, will spread like wildfire once planted. As my family love strawberries, I was thinking about making a 4x1x1' garden bed for them which hangs off my balcony railings. They would get full sun and rain, and would be handy to eat any time from the deck. What I'd like to know is what wood to use, and what method of bracing the bed to the railings? I've thought about a 2x1" on the inside of the railing with a couple of arms attached to the side of the bed, though I have doubts. What about hooks over the top railing and a rubber foot in between the bottom railing and the bed? May I ask your thoughts on wood, bracing, how to coat/waterproof the wood?

Brown = railing

Green = garden bed

Blue = bracing

4.png

Thanks,

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a balcony strawberry garden bed?

Hi @BoeingFan

Are you installing this on your timber rail by the balcony? If you are I suggest looking at Whites Outdoor Garden Up Balcony Planter. This is purpose-built for the kind of scenario that you have in mind. Just make sure not to forget to purchase the planter hook for the balcony planter.

I also suggest having a look at Fountain Products 700 x 375 x 655mm Charcoal Raised Garden Bed. This is a much bigger planter and will not put any stress on your timber rail. It's made from recycled plastic and is therefore impervious to rot, mould and insect attack. 

However, if you prefer to build it from timber, I suggest using Cedar, please note that this product will need to ordered from the special orders desk. There would be a limit to how big you can build the garden box as it is just hanging off the rails. If it becomes too heavy the rails will begin to bow.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects