Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do tree prunings and logs in the garden attract termites?

melaniegoesmia
Finding My Feet

Do tree prunings and logs in the garden attract termites?

I live in suburban Perth and we just had our very large liquid amber trimmed. There are some very large logs and branches that I'd love to use for landscaping / creative pieces in a new garden bed I'm building, but wonder if they might attract termites? If so, should they be kept a certain proximity away from the house or should I treat them to prevent that. I fully expect them to rot away over time- but wouldn't want my home to do the same :wink: 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Using tree prunings and logs in the garden

Hi @melaniegoesmia,

Thank you for your question about using logs in your garden.

Your concern is genuine, as termites will be attracted to any dead wood around your home.

Unfortunately, any non-treated timber has the potential for termites and other creepy crawlies to get in and cause some damage.

The treatments used to make timber termite resistant are very hazardous, so there is no D.I.Y. way that the timber can be treated to prevent the termites from getting in.

The best advice I can give to you is that any untreated timber should be kept at least 10m from your home, elevate it from the ground where possible, and inspect it regularly for termites.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful community members to see if they have any advice or thoughts to offer, @Noelle, @mich1972, @Dave-1

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @melaniegoesmia 

I have two liquid ambers in my front yard :smile: Love them and I prune them regulary so they dont go full amber on me :smile: (due a prune once winter really settles in) I dont see liquid ambers as being particulay hard as in hard wood. So even if you dry the timber out it may not have a lot of strength to be re-purposed, It wouldnt stop me trying but id factor that in.

In WA the weather and local trermites are a little different to over here on the East Coast. Rule of thumb would be not to keep/use it next to the house but that is all timber really. Id say 3m at the closest and keep an eye on the timber (kick it or belt with a hammer every so often (4months) just for your peace of mind.

I wouldnt think of treating it, you want it to rot down and nourish your soil so why add chenmicals is what I tell myself when I consider it.

Last part, Seriously impressive that you have manage dto grow decent liquid ambers in Perth :smile: I thought they would need a very substantial amount of decent soil and not be happy with the sandy type common in Perth. 

Dave

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @melaniegoesmia 

An additional consideration here is the Polyphagous shot-hole borer. This is a newish biosecurity threat around Perth. They are an insects that carry a devastating fungal disease that is wiping out established trees in your part of the world. So check that your trees don't have any PSHB before pruning and if you have PSHB then DO NOT use it for mulching. If it is clear then yes use it for mulch but not too close to the house as noted by @JacobZ .

For more information on PSHB - read the Departments website on the topic:Polyphagous shot-hole borer | Agriculture and Food

Good luck. 

robchin_2-1718060738667.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects