Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use the Ryobi vertimower for Buffalo lawn dethatching?

marfa
Finding My Feet

Can you use the Ryobi vertimower for Buffalo lawn dethatching?

Hi everyone

Our lawn has become spongy and patchy. I think I need to dethatch and wondered if I can use the Ryobi vertimower with the dethatcher attachment to do this, or will it destroy the lawn? 

The lawn has a bit of couch trying to break through so any ideas on how to remove this would also be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: buffalo dethatching

Hello @marfa 

Thanks for sharing your question about dethatching your buffalo lawn. I suggest having a look at these discussions - How can buffalo lawn be dethatched without harming the runners? by @shmo and How can buffalo lawn be dethatched without harming the runners? by @frankieg.

Some of the suggestions made was to use the WOLF-Garten Multi-Star 35cm wide Scarifying Roller Rake. This scarifier has wheels on it that prevents it from digging into soil and going in too deep. Another recommendation was to mow your lawn to its lowest level, but not so low that it kills it. 

In regards to the Ryobi vertimower are you referring to the Ryobi One+ 18V Brushless Cordless Scarifier OSF1835BL? If you are, this would also make an excellent scarifier for your lawn. As for the emerging couch, at this point in time I suggest manually removing them. Once the lawn has recovered and is healthy once more, you can then think about using a chemical solution.

Here are some handy guides that will help:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects