Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can Gorilla Glue attach galvanised tubes?

kiranraob4u
Growing in Experience

Can Gorilla Glue attach galvanised tubes?

dee65fd3-ca25-4619-b397-33d551b134c5.jpeg

Hi, See the picture attached I want to do something similar, instead of welding I want to use Gorialla Glue. How strong it can join the galvanised tubes? What will be its longevity? 

Regards

Kiran 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gorilla Glue for galvanised tubes

Hi @kiranraob4u,

Gorilla Glue wouldn't be suitable for joining galvanised tubes because it’s designed for materials like wood, metal, ceramics, and plastics, but it doesn't provide the structural strength required for holding metal tubes together under load. Glues like this are not strong enough to handle the stress and movement that a metal frame typically endures, especially over time and in outdoor conditions. Galvanised metal also has a protective coating that can reduce the bond strength.

If welding isn't an option, the best alternative would be to drill through the tubes and secure them with bolts. This would provide a much stronger and more reliable connection, ensuring the frame is stable and durable. Make sure to use bolts suitable for outdoor use, like galvanised, to prevent rust and maintain the longevity of the structure. 

An alternative to drilling through the square posts would be to use round posts and fittings similar to the ARC Fences 25 / 25mm NB Corner Gate And Fence Fitting. These clamping fittings are a simple way to create a robust frame.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects