Workshop
Ask a question

How to modernise cladding on roof peaks on 1989 concrete tile roof?

FitzyAdam
Finding My Feet

How to modernise cladding on roof peaks on 1989 concrete tile roof?

IMG_4084.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

  

IMG_4037.jpeg

 hi all,

im looking at modernising the curb appeal on my house and wanted to update this. 
thinking about putting in some vertical or horizontal cladding as I’ll be getting the roof done and looking to paint garage and all. 

I haven’t looked behind here yet to see where the battens are but does 

anybody have experience and advice on how to do. 

I’ve also added some inspiration photos of ideas I came across. Thanks in advance. Cheers

IMG_4077.png

IMG_4071.png

IMG_4061.png

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to modernise cladding on roof peaks on 1989 concrete tile roof?

Hi @FitzyAdam,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It sounds like a great project that will give your home a renewed facade and added curb appeal.

You might like to start by having a read through The Homeowner's Guide To Cladding, which provides some great information on cladding systems.

Selecting a look is likely a good place to start and there are several options in the above article. A few of my favourites include -

The installation method is dependent on the product you select. Each product will have an instruction guide that will detail the framing requirements, advisable fixings and any additional products that will be required. Ideally, you would install a single sheet over the whole gable end so there are no obvious joins.

Once you've selected your cladding product, you'll need to make any adjustments and apply house wrap such as Ametalin 1350mm x 10m SilverWrap LD Reflective Wall Insulation to the framing. You should also consider lighting at this stage of the project as an electrician will have good access at this point of the project.

You can then install the cladding as per the manufacturer's instructions.

Allow me to tag @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they've got any other advice for this project.

Please give me any feedback you have and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @FitzyAdam 

Nice idea I must say :smile:

To add to possible ideas-

- How about a Tudor styled facade. It would be easy enough to remove what you have from the surface and then the "facing" pieces of Tudor style can be attached.  A crisp white background with the timber trim jet black in a design of straight lines.

What colours are you thinking of painting your roof and garage? That could change the type of style you may go with. 

Dave

Thanks Jacob that’s a great help,  I’ll check all that out and look into it. 

cheers

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @FitzyAdam,

Keep us in the loop.

Happy to offer further advice along the way and would love to see the finished project.

Jacob

Thanks Dave,  I have seen a few of those designs near by and will have a look. 

at the moment it has that rendered cement look cladding. 

roof ether manor red, wallaby or woodland grey but I do like the classic red roof. I think it was manor red originally so I’d like to keep it with that. 

I’ll be putting in black double glazed windows for the front too so yeah kinda changing the lot. Will paint garter, gutters, cladding , trim and facia with matching colours with the roof. 

colours 

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @FitzyAdam I think the ideas @JacobZ has given is a great start. It really comes down to personal taste and what fits within the style of the house. Google searching "House Gable images" and checking other homes within your area of similar styles is always a great start. Personally I would keep it simple and clean. Your gable is quite shallow, so even updating the colours can make a huge difference. Ignoring the change of wall under the roofline, below is my last house and you can see the difference it made with untextured boards and a fresh coat of new colours to the gable.

Nailbag

BeforeBeforeAfterAfter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects