Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Portable and functional workbench

RainbowDiY
Having an Impact

Portable and functional workbench

I have a kreg saw horse and work table and saw that you could add a couple of 2x4’s and a top and extend it out to make a large work bench. 

I don’t have a lot of room nor storage and wanted a work top that was large and had clamping ability.

i got 2 2x4’s and form ply off cuts and okumu panels as they were cheap. I needed the two as I had to rout deep grooves to place in the Track.

IMG_5569.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg

i laid the 2x4’s in the hooks between the two saw horses and then attached the form ply off cuts. I roughed up the tops and the lathered them with glue and placed the okumu panels on top. I screwed through from underneath and weighted the tops down. 

I purchased t track from amazon and then routed grooves in so that the t track sat flush with the top surface of the work bench. I placed in, screwed and glued the t Track in. I siliconed around the T track to fill in the gaps as this table will be in the elements.

IMG_5586.jpeg

I oiled the tops and attached two wheels along 1 of the 2x4 ‘s so when I took it off I could wheel it to where I needed to store it.

its been great! I can attach stops, clamps, corner angles so I can put together all my projects. It’s very functional for my tiny workshop and provides a great space to work on.

IMG_5637.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

i also made a base for my pocket hole jig that attaches using T Bolts. I think I will make one for a router table in the future.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: portable and functional work bench

That's certainly an impressive build, @RainbowDiY

It's fantastic to see someone improve their tools. You've created a fabulous piece of kit there.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects