Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop rain coming in under this garage door?

Heidi81
Just Starting Out

How to stop rain coming in under this garage door?

We're converting our garage into a rumpus room and has used epoxy to freshen up the concrete floor. We had a huge downpour yesterday and found a large pool of water behing the door this morning. I've looking into external door seals, but the door is hollow and smaller than a standard size so difficult to fit a door seal at the bottom. 

My thoughts are: an awning (longer term plan) to provide some protection; a wooden, painted threshold/piece of timber at the base of the door frame fixed to the floor and thirdly, a new door fitted with external door seal (more expensive). The door faces west so cops the rain quite a bit. Open to suggestions, thanks!20240630_102049.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop rain coming in under this garage door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Heidi81. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about weatherproofing a door.

Hollow core doors have a solid timber frame around their perimeter, including the bottom edge. So, you might still be able to install a proper door seal. You wouldn't have any issue at all using a self-adhesive version. Door seals are cut down to suit the size of your door, so fitting to a door smaller than the standard size shouldn't be an issue.

If your threshold is not sloped away from the door, then even with a seal, the water will creep under the door. If this is the case, then your idea of installing an awning or a timber beading at the bottom would be a good solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to stop rain coming in under this garage door?

Afternoon @Heidi81 

Id definently go with @MitchellMc's suggestion on this one. I had the same issue and installed one looking very much like the link shows. Its still working a dream tho I do need to tighten up the screws underneath the flap as they are catching (its been there for 3ish years) 

It took all of 5mins to install :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects