Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need recommendations for a drill driver set

Ange11
Growing in Experience

Need recommendations for a drill driver set

Hi Guys & Gals I need your recommendations on a good quality drill driver set pz but Not Ryobi's 40 piece set its rubbish.

tyia

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: recommendations for a drill driver set pz NOT Ryobi 40-Piece Specialty Metric Drill and Drive...

Hello @Ange11 

Thanks for sharing your question about what drill and driver set to get. These drill and driver set's that I'm about to suggest are the ones that I use all the time and have always provided excellent results. The Kango 36 Piece Hypertorque Impact Driving Set is a strong set that I've yet to wear out, it has magnetized tips and are very hard wearing. For drilling I use the Kango 19 Piece Cobalt Drill Bit Set, these drill bits go through just about anything and they keep their sharpness even after a large amount of use. 

I've made the mistake of using a generic masonry bit that ended up ruining my drill. Whereas using a high-quality bit made the job so much faster. Investing in the bits you use for your tool is just as important as how you handle the tool itself. A good craftsman always takes care of their tools because they know the right tools will never let them down when it counts.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Need recommendations for a drill driver set

Hi @Ange11 

A great suggestion on both kits there by @EricL I have used Kango products for years and have been very happy with them with exception to the odd issue. 

A couple of points with the drill bit set:

- Definitely get one with more bits than less because of the included size options. 

- Cobalt is great allrounder bit designed for longer wearing until it wears off or the bit is sharpened. This will happen if you drill a lot of metal, then they become a HSS bit. I had a good set of both Kango Cobalt and HSS, but after experiencing the above I wouldn't pay the extra for the Cobalt.

- The new Kango drill bit cases are easily the worst I have encountered. You literally slice your fingers drying to get bits in/out. I transferred a new set of bits into an old case and through the new case away. My advice would be to definitely to try before you buy.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Ange11 

Mmmm Im going to go against @EricL and @Nailbag s recomendations :smile: hahhahah 

I dont own a drill driver set :surprised: so thats me out on that one.

I do have a few "sets" of drills, noteably  a blue box (had since my apprentaship and thast a looooong time ago, now half full) and a few other mixed boxes ive picked up over the years, no branding remembered. I actually have found that in general I dont use MOST of teh drill bits in the boxes. I do use particular sizes of drill bits tho. 1/8" (3mm) Lots, 1/4" (6mm) a fair bit and a  few10mm and also a 12mm for my larger bolt holes. The rest of the drill bits only get used when I run out of these particular sizes. 

Id buy it as a back up but otherwise you will soon rack up a few drills (I keep mine in a glass jar, well a few jars and also I have a drill draw for the longer heavier drills :smile: Sharpening drills is something I should do but never have. I generally snap mine because i push too hard into hardwood. My masonary drills I tend to go for midrange priceing.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @EricL 

"I've made the mistake of using a generic masonry bit that ended up ruining my drill."

Any chance of some more details on what happened. Just curious. 👍

Cheers.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

@EricL 

I second @Noyade ,That would be perfect for Mistakes with tools that we have done? :laugh: Yeah cheaky smile lol

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Dave @Dave-1 

Yes, I too have a masonry bit versus drill experience, so I'm interested to see what Eric has to say. 👍

And hi @Ange11 

"Not Ryobi's 40 piece set its rubbish."

May I ask what issues you had? You can see I'm missing some Ryobi long PH2 drive bits. The stems shattered in a spiral fashion after very short use.

I like the Kango bits and the Full Boars are even better (just my opinion). I intensely dislike the 'magnetic' bit holders that come with most kits. The Kango comes with a bit holder that is a combination magnet and 'wire' lock - which is better than most, but you can get bit holders that unlock and lock by pulling down on a collar engaging a wire brace. Absolutely locked solid.

Cheers.

20240904_104256.jpg

20240904_120243.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Yes, I too have a masonry bit versus drill experience."

Hi @Dave-1 @EricL 

25 years ago I was buying only "the best of the best" and had acquired the famous Southern Cross Tool brand of a SDS hammer drill, from Clints.

Only the best....Only the best....

In a nutshell I must have drilled the wrong diameter hole in the concrete for an ankascrew.

So I re-drilled a larger diameter - but the bit became totally embedded and stuck. Putting the drill in reverse only produced a 'clacking' (safety clutch?) sound with no movement.

Disengaged the drill bit.

Had to use a pipe wrench to remove the bit.

Tried to re-screw the ankascrew with my BigW $12.95c socket set (only the best) - and the 11/16 socket shattered into three pieces.

Welded it together as a reminder of a rather unsuccessful DIY day.

Such is life.

20240904_103602.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

When I first started handling power tools, I was not yet familiar with overheating, hand tool limits and cool down/rest process. I just kept going and learned the hard way that tools as well as drill bits need a breather. The drill bit got ruined and the tool ended up in the bin.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening All and sorry @Ange11 :smile:

So here is a throw in question as it has bugged me since my apprenticeship days :smile: I had to drill a bunch of gun metal bollards and the drill would catch in the gun metal everytime. Made no difference the size of the drill/pilot hole. Id go slow, fast and it would catch and wrap around and belt my leg (still remember the "wrench" Any suggestions to throw in on how to drill gun metal (The hole had to be 1/2")?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects