Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal new concrete slab for shed?

nfors
Community Newcomer

How to seal new concrete slab for shed?

Hi,

We've poured a new slab, less than a month old, and put a new shed over it. The slab is about 110 sqm and I'm looking for a cost effective way to treat the concrete floor before starting any fit out in the shed itself.

I have received a few epoxy quotes that were high so I'm hoping there's something I can do myself.

I have so far looked at:

- Polyaspartic

- DIY epoxy

- Concrete paint

- Concrete sealer

Being a new slab, I'm hoping to skip etching and go with a paint or sealer. But any advice on one over the other? 

My plan was to pressure wash and scrub the slab with a brush, let it dry and then hopefully put the paint/sealer down per instructions (ie with a primer if needed etc), let it cure and call it a day.

Depending on the product it looks like i'll need something like 40L for any product that covers 3–6sqm per liter (if my math is right ha).

Any advice on painting or sealing a shed slab? I want to do whatever I'm gonna do before I get on with the fit out.

Thanks,

N

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal new concrete slab for shed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nfors. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing new concrete.

Since you’re looking for cost-effective options, I’d be happy to walk you through the choices you’re considering, focusing on DIY epoxy, concrete paint, and concrete sealer, which are products we offer.

Concrete sealer would be a good option if you're happy with the natural look of your concrete slab. A clear sealer will protect the surface from moisture and stains while maintaining the original appearance of the concrete. It’s relatively easy to apply, and you can typically skip the etching process since your slab is new, but be sure to pressure wash and scrub thoroughly before sealing. This will give you a clean, matte finish that preserves the raw look of the concrete while adding durability.

If you prefer a more finished look with some colour options, concrete paint could be the way to go. It provides a durable, protective layer that resists wear and tear, and it’s available in various colours to suit your shed’s interior. If you’re going with paint, ensure you follow the product instructions, which may involve using a primer for better adhesion and longevity. Paint offers a more uniform finish than a sealer and gives the slab a professional, polished look.

Lastly, while epoxy coatings can be more work-intensive, it’s your best choice if you want a sleek, polished finish. Epoxy provides excellent durability and chemical resistance, making it ideal for a high-traffic shed or one where you’ll be working with tools and machinery. Since you’ve received high quotes for professional epoxy, doing it yourself could save money. Just remember that it does require careful preparation and possibly etching, even on a newer slab, depending on the product you choose.

Let me know if you'd like more details on any of these products, and I can guide you through the application process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nfors
Community Newcomer

Re: How to seal new concrete slab for shed?

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly. I think I'm interested in the concrete sealer or paint options. I have a feeling that the epoxy may be a bit to intensive at the moment. I might also be impatient as we got this shed up and I want the floor done so I can get in there already ha.

With the sealer, I was looking at a Crommelin product that you recommended elsewhere.

For the paint, I was interested in the Dulux, Dulux Avista, Berger and Rust-o-leum ranges and I'm in a bit of product overload – unsure what I need for what I'm doing. Also, what does it mean when the product says epoxy paint? Is that still a two part process that requires etching etc? Or is it just an epoxy based paint, like not acrylic or latex?

And, for the care of the painted floor, if it does chip or wear, can it be repainted or will there need to be a major surface prep again when the paint is finally worn?

Any product suggestions in sealers and paints would be much appreciated if you have time.

Also, am I right in assuming that the sealer is the cheapest as it won't likely require primer or as intensive surface prep?

Thanks again for your help!

N

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects