Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace existing garage outdoor spotlight?

tts1980
Getting Established

How to replace existing garage outdoor spotlight?

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my existing garage outdoor spotlight at the entrance where the rollerdoor is. The existing one is just a regular plug that goes into a wall socket (shared with the electric door opener) through a hole in the wall. The hole is too small to fit the plug through so it looked like an electrician might cut the plug off and fed the cable through and reinstall a new plug or the light didn't come with a plug.

Seems to bit overkill to get an electrician (nearly $200) to replace the spotlight if there are spotlights that come prewired with a plug unless I am missing something? Can I just get a tradie/handyman to enlarge the hole so the plug would fit through (in case I need to replace the light again in future)?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing existing garage outdoor spotlight

Hello @tts1980 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing your outdoor spotlight. Your second idea, I believe will work nicely. In fact, if you have the necessary tools, you might be able to enlarge the hole yourself. But if not, then getting a handy person would be the next step. Once the hole has been enlarged and the plug run through, I suggest using Parfix 340g Triple Expanding Foam Filler to fill the hole and prevent vermin from passing through it. The excess foam can be trimmed off using a craft knife.

The best part of using the expanding foam is that it can be easily removed should you need to replace your spotlight. I also recommend having a look at the Solar Magic Solar Security Fixed Light as a secondary option. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tracey5
Just Starting Out

Re: How to replace existing garage outdoor spotlight?

@tts1980 have you thought of solar or even a light you charge, only you will need to take it off when you charge it… 

I would go solar…

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @tts1980 

I literally installed one of these solar spot lights today under my mates front of house eve to light up the driveway. After installing several for various friends this particular model is by far the best and cheapest. It has a fully adjustable PIR sensor, the lights can be split to cover a wider area and the most important thing is the light on time can be adjusted up to 1min. Most have no adjustment and the one I replaced for him only stayed on for 18sec! The new one also has a night light feature that goes full brightness when it detects motion. And for $49 doesn't need an expensive sparky to install!

Nailbag

tts1980
Getting Established

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I like the idea of solar. I will get one for my yard first to see if my place have the right amount of sunlight to get it stay charged. Also I am in a unit so might have to check with the body corporate to see if they are okay with me installing something different from others.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects