Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are garage ceiling joists strong enough to hang a punching bag?

TheDoorIsBroken
Community Newcomer

Are garage ceiling joists strong enough to hang a punching bag?

1000009667.jpg

I'm trying to hang a heavy punching bag in this carport: under the section with a ceiling. I can see some supports, and can find joists using a stud finder and knock tests between the visible ones. On a previous house I went into the roof cavity and could see the size of the joists from above, but this house doesn't have access to the carport section of the roof.

How can I tell if these joists are strong enough to support a bag?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how strong are garage ceiling joists?

Hi @TheDoorIsBroken,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, if you want a definitive yes or no answer about whether your ceiling frame is strong enough to support a boxing bag, you will need to contact an engineer for their assessment, and they would need to be able to physically see the frame to confirm this.

If you were set on hanging the boxing bag from the ceiling, you could remove a panel so the internal structure can be viewed, but this brings into question whether the ceiling sheets contain asbestos or not.

It may seem overly cautious, but in this situation, I would suggest looking at different options such as a Boxing Bag Stand or a Boxing Bag Wall Bracket.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Noyade, @Dave-1, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: how strong are garage ceiling joists?

Afternoon @TheDoorIsBroken 

I dont think I would be game to say that its possible. The distance between the post and the roller door and also post and the photographer is a fair distance so I think more "Carport" then garage. I trust carports to do their job but dont like the idea of added weight that can be a big pendulum to create a whole bunch of lateral issues.

Instead id go down the track of an old swing set that you remove the swings ect and mount the bag in teh middle. That way no issues with a structure and is light enough to move around (without the bag lol)

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Are garage ceiling joists strong enough to hang a punching bag?

Hi @TheDoorIsBroken 

Sorry but I can’t offer any further advice to the excellent ones I would be following by @JacobZ 

The only way to know for sure and to then build in the required reinforcement would be to removed a small section of the ceiling which is noted as possibly being asbestos. 

Failing that idea would some form of freestanding frame be suitable. Or run a decent diameter metal pipe from the right hand post to the house. 

Nailbag

TheDoorIsBroken
Community Newcomer

Thanks all for the second opinions. 

I have seen some guides suggesting adding an exposed beam that connects to 3 or 4 joists, to distribute the load. I'm assuming this would help, but still somewhat risky without knowing what is up there

Also tossing up if I can remove a corrugated iron roof sheet to see the frame

I suspect the metal structure at front if frame is not sturdy enough either: there's some strong looking beams but they shake enough when I tap them to give me doubts :smile:

Will keep thinking of options and maybe toss up a swing structure 

Evening @TheDoorIsBroken 

It would be 15 years ago now - but I attached a punching bag in a similar area to yours for my eldest son. I was confident of the support - but the noise! Even the corrugated iron 'rumbled' with each punch.

I was so glad when his knuckles blistered/bled and he gave up on it. If I were to do it again - it would be a mobile steel frame - nothing attached to the house.

Cheers!

Go the Swans!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects