Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate 40ft shipping container?

taylorjj
Finding My Feet

How to insulate 40ft shipping container?

Hey there,

I'm currently converting a 40th shipping container into air-conditioned dog runs. 

I'm hope to get some ideas and adive on how to insulate it. 

Thank you in advance 

received_802157335332075.jpeg

received_448988008102684.jpeg

received_460762943617627.jpeg

   

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to insulate 40ft shipping container?

Hi @taylorjj,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Did you have any photos of the inside of the container? This would certainly help our members to offer their best advice.

Are the openings on the sides of the container going to have any kind of dog door, or cover put on them? They would certainly need to be addressed to create a well-insulated environment inside the container.

Are you planning on having any kind of internal walls in the containers? If so, you could install insulation batts inside these walls to help insulate the container.

If you weren't putting in any internal walls, my suggestion is to use Foilboard Insulation stuck to the inside walls and roof of the containers using Liquid Nails. This won't give you as much R value as insulation batts will but will certainly offer fair levels of insulation in its absence.

I'd suggest you have a look at How to insulate a Colorbond shed roof, where my colleague @MitchellMc has linked to a wide variety of discussions similar to your question. A variety of possible solutions are offered that may be useful for you.

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice or ideas to offer, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good afternoon @taylorjj 

Mounting an above the container roof around a foot off the top would help with the heat, good front ventilation is also needed as containers heat up a fair bit. Applying insulation on the inside will require sealing the walls as doggos will prob want to "nom nom nom" on anythey can reach.

I would suggest to have that roof idea overhang the fron and rear of the kennels by a meter, that will keep the sun off it as much as possible.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

The suggestions @JacobZ are ideal, plus if you were to install a riser roof about 400mm above the top it would allow shaded cool air to pass in-between offering a substantial natural cooling properties.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 8.56.14 PM.png

taylorjj
Finding My Feet

Thanks everyone for their ideas and responses. 

I am going to put something over the top of the insulation to stop the dogs chewing the walls. The container will have a 7kw split system and PowerPoint's and lighting. 

I was hoping to get away with not having to have an interal wall frame to save on costs.

Here are some internal photos. 

Thanks again

Jenny

20240902_084947.jpg

20240902_084947.jpg

20240902_084942.jpg

20240902_084921.jpg

20240902_084921.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @taylorjj,

I've found this guide from Foilboard about methods for insulating containers.

Their advice is to batten out the walls with either timber or steel battens such as these Australian Handyman Supplies 22mm x 3m Zincalume Steel Ceiling Batten followed by Foilboard and plasterboard sheets.

This could be a good way to insulate the container without having to have full wall frames.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

R4addZ
Growing in Experience

HI @taylorjj

Maybe watch this video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXwkQ6jLqTk

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects