Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover windows in a van for sleeping?

willh99
Finding My Feet

How to cover windows in a van for sleeping?

So I’ve bought a Subaru forester with a bed in the back. Next I need to use something to cover all the windows at night for privacy. I’m thinking how about I cut out the window outlines into a material and then use maybe suction cups to stick the material onto each window? The question is which material should I use and would cutting mini holes in the material to attach the suction cups work? (Maybe aluminium insulation?) If someone has a better idea all together I’m all ears! Never done diy before so this is all new to me. Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: first time car DIY, need help!

Hello @willh99 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about covering the windows in your car. 

I suggest using Tunnelcore 1200 x 900 x 3mm Black Double Wall PP Flute Board and cutting them to the exact size of the window you are covering. This material can easily be cut with a craft knife or sturdy scissors. You can't see through them, and they also provide a bit of insulation. You can easily cut through them and provide holes for hooks.    

I recommend using Permastik Medium Suction Hooks to hold the flute board in place. Another option is to use VELCRO Brand 22mm White Stick On Hook and Loop Dots. I'll leave the choice up to you.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It worked! Thank you! The material was great and didn’t need the suction cups in the end as it slots well into the windows. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @willh99 

That's good to hear, but as a precaution I suggest keeping a set of hooks in the glovebox just in case the cover falls off.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects