Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to compare Ozito PXC vs Ryobi One plus cordless sliding compound saws?

Nittus
Just Starting Out

How to compare Ozito PXC vs Ryobi One plus cordless sliding compound saws?

Hi all, i'm looking to buy a cordless sliding compound saw and i'm tossing up between the Ozito 36 volt dual battery and the Ryobi 18 volt, either in the 210 or 254mm sizes, not overly fussed. However the information on these products is limited, so it's hard to make an informed choice. Like is the 18 volt system on the Ryobi going to deliver as much cutting power as the 36 volt? Are they both brushless? How accurate are they? I plan on using it for heavy home use as i'm renovating. If anyone has any information on these saws they can share, it would be appreciated.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to compare Ozito PXC vs Ryobi One plus cordless sliding compound saws?

Hi @Nittus,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

Both brands are going to be very similar in capabilities, with minor differences in their design and warranty periods. 

Ryobi offer a 4-year warranty that can be extended to 6 with online registration, whereas Ozito offers a 5-year warranty.

In the approximately 210mm size, there is the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 216mm Sliding Mitre Saw and the Ozito PXC 36V 2 x 18V 210mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw

These are both brushed saws with very similar power outputs, that will be relative to the batteries that you use. For example, a 2 Ah (Amp hour) battery is not going to output as much power as a 6 Ah. They are both going to be relatively lightweight, easy to move and capable of both mitre and bevel cuts. 

The Ryobi saw has a laser guide to assist with accurate cuts, whereas the Ozito does not.

In the 254mm size, there is the Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP™ 254mm Brushless Sliding Mitre Saw and the Ozito PXC 36V 2 x 18V 254mm Sliding Mitre Saw.

The Ryobi mitre saw is brushless, whereas the Ozito is brushed. Once again, they are comparable in power, with much of the difference coming down to what battery is used. They are going to be heavier than the smaller versions, but much more capable of cutting larger timbers with both mitre and bevel cuts available.

Much of the accuracy is going to come down to the tool calibration and the quality of the saw blade. Mitre saws are calibrated from the factory, but I've had to make some adjustments to ensure perfectly square cuts in the past. The owner's manual will guide you on this process if it is required.

If you are planning on cutting larger timbers, I would not advise using these saws. They are perfect for things like framing, decking and trim carpentry, but will not have the power to cut things like sleepers, joists and thick hardwood for extended periods. For larger timber or if you'll be using the saw for several hours, I recommend considering a powered version

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice or opinions to offer, @CSParnell, @Nailbag, @DIYGnome.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Nittus honestly Ryobi over Ozito it's going to be that little be better step up in quality and longevity 

Nittus
Just Starting Out

Thanks heaps Jacob, you've been exceptionally helpful and have answered the question perfectly! Given the information you've provided, i will go with the Ryobi 254mm, as it suits my needs for the work you described. I already have a large powered Makita, but it's way too heavy to lug around and i've wanted a battery saw for a while so the Ryobi should hit the spot.

Thanks again.

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Nittus I think you will find that @JacobZ has already provided some excellent information. Here are a few additional tips:

• Brushless tools of any brand are worth paying the extra if it's going to be a regularly used tool. They provide significantly more power, use less energy (longer battery runtime) and far more reliable. 

• Some tools use more energy than others. Saws are one of those tools. Using batteries with a higher capacity (Ah rating) will deliver more energy with longer runtimes. It's like having a bigger fuel tank running higher octane fuel. For a Mitre saw I would be using no less than 6Ahr. I use 2 x 9's on mine

• 36V tools that use 2 x 18V batteries, will always need 2 batteries to run them. This means you will need to purchase double the batteries than an 18V system. 18V systems using 2 batteries only need one. But last longer with more power if you use two. 

• For renovating a 254mm saw will give you the greater range of cuts both in depth and more importantly in width. And slides are better than plain Mitre for even increased depth and application.

• My last tip is don't trust they are accurate out of the box. Check the fence is square to the blade and if it's out, there are Allan screws under the saw to loosen and adjust. Check if it's vertically square to the table. If not adjust the 0deg and 45deg stops at the back of the saw. And if you saw gets banked around a bit check all this regularly. When cutting frame work it's not so important. But when your ready to cut for fix out it will be.

Hope this helps

Nailbag.

Regards, Nailbag
DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @Nittus 🖐

Maybe it's just me but given the Compound Mitre saws are cumbersome anyway why limit productivity to a battery powered unit? 🤔

Battery = portability/convenience
Mains powered = endless operation

That said, brushless & laser guided have my vote as well, just for sheer ease of use and robust operation, I run both Ryobi & Ozito equipment 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects