Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build weatherboard cladding battens?

tan_tran81
Finding My Feet

How to build weatherboard cladding battens?

Hi folks,

I'm planning on a small project to build an extension 10m2.

Attached is a draft frame drawing (unfinished).

There are 3 walls need to be cladded with weatherboard.

Can you please give me some advice on?

1. Between James Hardie Primeline Newport vs Weathertex Primelok Federation Smooth, which one is more reliable?

2. Do I need to use battens between frame stubs and weatherboard? People recommend battens system to ensure airflow and avoid condensation.

Thank you so much.

framingframing

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build weatherboard cladding battens?

Hi @tan_tran81,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Please note that there might be a delay in getting back to you as one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts is on leave today. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tan_tran81,

When considering materials, James Hardie Primeline Newport is known for its durability and resistance to moisture, rot, and termites due to its fibre cement composition, making it a reliable choice for longevity and low maintenance. On the other hand, Weathertex Primelok Federation Smooth offers a more natural look, being made from timber products; however, it may require more upkeep to prevent warping or cracking over time. If longevity with minimal maintenance is your priority, Primeline is likely the better option, while Weathertex can be suitable if you're willing to invest in regular care.

Using battens between the frame studs and the weatherboard is highly recommended for several reasons. Battens create a cavity that promotes airflow behind the cladding, helping to prevent moisture buildup and reducing the risk of mould and rot. Additionally, this system effectively manages condensation by allowing moisture to evaporate rather than getting trapped against the building materials. 

Here's the installation guide for Primeline and Weathertex.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for the comment.

Tan

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects