Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop water from getting into my new art studio?

Kel1975
Finding My Feet

How do I stop water from getting into my new art studio?

Hi 👋🏻  I’m new to this Bunnings forum. I live in the Shoalhaven area which was recently on the news due to massive weather/ flooding events we’ve had over the last couple of weeks. 

My question 🙋🏻‍♀️ is:

How can I stop water getting into my new art studio when we have these types of weather events? I live in a flood zone area which isn’t ideal. I’ve had my shed fully lined with waterproof barrier sheeting, then fully insulated and sealed with sealant and spray foam. I’ve even sealed up the expansion gap in the slab and then used waterproof paint they use in showers to create a membrane. I’ve tiled the front section off the entry way. The issue is the sliding door is on the slab. I have no idea 🤷🏻‍♀️ on how to prevent it from coming through the sliding glass door.
I thought 💭 about building a two foot high retaining wall around the entire perimeter of the inside of the shed including across the entrance way out of bricks and concrete. Then filling the rest of the floor with wooden pallets to raise the internal flooring. Then covering that with floor sheets and then put carpet squares over the top. 

I realise this will be a pain to get furniture in and out of the shed especially as the opening or the sliding door will be restricted by the new sub flooring. 

I also had another idea of trying to buy a cafe type pull down roller door, you know the security type ones the shop use. I still think the water would get in though. Please help. I’m lost at what the best solution is besides moving. I can’t afford to do that. This is the 3rd time in 3.5yrs this flooding has occurred. I’ve spent a lot of money putting in power for lights, fan, PowerPoints etc. I don’t want to use fill it with stuff and let it sit there unused. 

I forgot to mention I’ve also put in 3 agie lines and a massive pump and pit drain to pump out all the water from the yard as well. 

IMG_6931.jpeg

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8763.jpeg

IMG_9707.jpeg

IMG_9697.jpeg

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9804.jpeg

IMG_9825.jpeg

IMG_9259.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I stop water from getting into my new art studio?

Hi @Kel1975,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you've already done everything I could suggest in terms of waterproofing your art studio. 

When flooding occurs, it means the civil infrastructure in your area is not able to cope with the amount of water you are experiencing, so there's not a lot you can do as an individual to stop it.

Your idea of raising the floor with pallets sounds like a good idea to protect the stuff that you're storing inside but they would not last particularly long if they got wet.

It might also be worth keeping some Hessian Sandbags handy to block the doors when you're aware that a particularly heavy downpour is on the way.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @DIYGnome, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Hello @Kel1975 🖐

The trouble you are having is why I always check for heritage, flood & bushfire Council overlays when looking at purchasing a property, preventative measures that could have been taken should have been done before the Studio & Shedding were erected on site, sounds like a substantial water redistribution system is in place already.

A variation on the "Queenslander" elevated buildings would have been one such option prior to building in such that placing your Studio well above the reach of the historical high water level for your area, another might have been to build up the property at the end of your site as you can still see grass in one photo so the site appears to be on a slope.

It would also be prudent to speak with your local SES Organisation about flood prepping  and acquiring an adequate supply of sand and sandbags ahead of the deluge or impending River rise.

Raising the floor of your existing Studio would assist in keeping your furniture above the water level to a degree but dampness would still be an issue in the floor substrata.

DIYGnome_0-1718608223324.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Kel1975 

I am actually excited about what you can do, I have tried to figure ways around flood issues and how to plan, use the flood for advange, things to put in place infrastructure wise. We cant escape the more frequent flooding,nor bushfires but we can plan for them. You get to try something out!

I am impressed with what you have already done for your studio, but with it sitting on a slab I cant see much more you can do there other then a stock fo sandbags to use when the flooding happens.

I like part of your idea about building a retaining wall around your studio, tho Id change that a little. Build it so its a meter out on three sides (the one next to the fence you would have a run of bricks or concrete) and maybe even an area a little wider. Landscape your yard so the ground slopes up to and then over and own into your protective pit. Think of it as a reverse moat. I would also make sure that the interior ground level of this has a low point where whatever water gets in can be pumped out. (you havnt mentioned power dropping out but keep that in mind otherwise ytou will be bailing)

You could plant whatever you wanted to on the hill side of the retaining wall and keep the inside clean so you can maintain it. Note bricks and cracks can let water through so would talk to your bricklayer to choose the right type of construction for this instance. 

Do you have a "Max height" the water may get to? Where will the pumped water go if its already flooded? Erosion of water runoff tho your yard does look flat. Are soem of the questions I also would include.

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Community :smile: Definently its going to be an interesting project whichever way forward you decide.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Kel1975  I really feel for the situation you and your community have endured. I know several people in and around Lismore who have been still suffering and trying to rebuild from 3 floods in as many years. As commendable the efforts you have made, the only practical way you can be truely flood free in the studio is to raise it above the highest flood level as suggested by @DIYGnome .

The existing concrete floor will provide an excellent base to build from combined with surrounding drainage systems you have put in place. Fixing post anchors directly to the slab then utilising Cyprus posts stumps to treated pine bearers and joists. Then yellow tongue flooring to then place your studio upon would be my angle of attack for this project. You would also need a small landing to steps leading up to the door. The area underneath could provide for additional outdoor storage. 

Hope this helps.

Regards, Nailbag

Hello @Dave-1 🖐

I have observed restrictions for things such as fencing and shedding in Council Flood Overlays, the School of thought generally being that any obstacle can effect water run off and worsen flood water pooling, always worth a chat will the local Building Compliance Officer. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects