Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove the gearbox from my Ozito Compound Mitre Saw SCMS-8MSS?

brimotimp
Just Starting Out

How do I remove the gearbox from my Ozito Compound Mitre Saw SCMS-8MSS?

I think the gearbox on my Ozito SCMS-8MSS has failed. It hasn't had a lot of use and it's only 4.5 years old. It makes a screeching noise when the motor is running and the blade doesn't turn, nor does the shaft going through the blade. I want to take the gearbox assembly out so I can see what's gone wrong. I guess the gear has stripped completely or is spinning on it's shaft. I have taken the two screws/bolts out holding the bearing cover plate off and the locking pin and expected the gearbox assembly to pull out. Looking on the exploded parts diagram at SCMS-8MSS Mitre Saw; EX; AUS; - Spareparts / Accessories - Einhell Service (einhell-service.com) I can't see what is holding it in. But the image quality is not good. Does anybody know how to do it?

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How do I remove the gearbox from my Ozito Compound Mitre Saw SCMS-8MSS

Hello @brimotimp 🖐

Welcome to the Workshop Community, given the Ozito (Einhell) products have a 5 year warranty that is the avenue I would recommend first, having said that I believe you might find parts PDF from Ozito Australia (for a parallel model) more useful as it looks like the same layout only legible. 

Additional reference material @ https://www.ozito.com.au/services/spareparts-and-manuals/

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove the gearbox from my Ozito Compound Mitre Saw SCMS-8MSS

Hi @brimotimp,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

Unfortunately, the warranty period for this particular product is only 3 years, so it is outside of the warranty period and not eligible for a replacement.

It's likely possible to order a spare part through the Special Orders desk of your local store, but unless you are extremely confident in your abilities, I wouldn't suggest attempting a repair. The potential for injury if something were to go wrong is far too great. You might consider finding a local tool repair person to assist with this.

Otherwise, Ozito has some reasonably priced replacements such as this Ozito 1600W 210mm 8¼" Corded Compound Mitre Saw which you might like to consider.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How do I remove the gearbox from my Ozito Compound Mitre Saw SCMS-8MSS?

Apologies 5 years warranty apparently only extends to the Battery Electric product lines ☹️

Thanks for the clarification @JacobZ 👍 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects