Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install a ceiling in my shed?

ElleKochie
Finding My Feet

How do I install a ceiling in my shed?

Hi Friends, 
I have a stable block where the insulation is falling down, birds are nesting in the remnants, dropping insulation and debris all over my horses and gear.
Removing the roof is no an option financially (covered in solar panels).

How do I put in new insulation and enclose it with a ceiling to stop more debris falling down?
Steel framed shed, roof battens are 'high hats' (or are they 'top hats'?) battens.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ceiling.jpg

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: How do I install a ceiling in my shed?

Hi @ElleKochie , welcome to the community

I had a similar issue with an old shed we lined the ceiling in, looking it yours i think you could almost screw cement sheeting like we did direct onto the top hats. 

you would have to check the spans to see if its ok

this is a opic of ours after we screwed the sheeting to the roof 

IMG_20190630_084950.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ElleKochie,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to see @wooshka has already jumped in with some advice and images of a similar project. Thank you for that.

Having a look at the current structure, a ceiling frame is likely going to be required to fall in line with advisable spans for ceiling sheets. 

Can you advise what the distance between the roof trusses is? This will likely need to be considered when designing a ceiling frame. 

Is it possible to get some more photos showing the full extent of the inside of the stable? This will help our members offer advice on the best way to go about this project.

Allow me to tag some of our other knowledgeable members to see if they have any ideas, @Nailbag, @TedBear, @Dave-1 

Once you've provided a few extra details, I'd be happy to assist further.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ElleKochie 

the good news is that you already have the infrastructure in place to make the job a whole lot easier. The aluminium roof runners already installed will be your fixing points for ceiling panels. It's not light to install and wouldn't require any further treatment, which is to use marine ply, fixed using 35mm self drilling screws.  Starting at one end, fix a sheet of marine ply. Then press in Earthwool batts to edge flush then start the next sheet. This will provide a solid ceiling with excellent insulation properties.

You will need to hire a wheeled scaffold to install the sheets and batts. But depending on the length of time you need, It might even be worth buying one or look on Marketplace as they are a dime a dozen to buy 2nd hand.

Hope this helps.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @ElleKochie 

Are you also doing the area above the stables? 

You have the outside of the framing you need already, you just need some battens/studs to help secure the sheets to. Do you have a preferance to the material you would like to use?

@JacobZ has mentioned alreay the way I was thinking so will wait and see what the distances are. The only think I can add to the lining the roof idea is to run any cabling you "may" want in future before you put up the ceiling. Its a small cost to have compared with a nice clean looking ceiling.

Dave

Thanks heals for the reply!

A few questions:

Do I need to put in a moisture barrier as well? Or is that where the marine ply works for me?

And which layer is the moisture barrier put in? Between the tin an insulation, or between the insulation and the ceiling boards?

Thanks for the assistance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ElleKochie 

A moisture barrier is typically not necessary for ceilings with a ventilated roof space, as the airflow above the insulation helps to evaporate any trapped moisture. However, in the case of cathedral ceilings and flat roofs, a moisture barrier is essential because there is no ventilation above the insulation to facilitate moisture escape. Moisture barriers are typically placed between the insulation and ceiling boards.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects