Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Could I build a large barn door using two internal doors?

Pablo1
Getting Established

Could I build a large barn door using two internal doors?

I was looking for some advice about closing off a space in our garage used as a laundry.

Initially I was looking at a barn door type of thing but it is quite a large area to close off: 1500mm wide, 2400mm to the ceiling.

I did see this project by @LePallet and it gave me some ideas: https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Handmade-barn-doors/ta-p/72496

One of these was to use 2 already made internal doors of appropriate size, join them together and hang via a barn door roller/track kit. There would be other work involved like a board above the doors and any "decorative" items on the door faces etc.

Does this concept seem a reasonable idea to progress?

thanksLaundry Needs DividingLaundry Needs Dividing

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Could I build a large barn door using two internal doors?

Hello @Pablo1 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing barn doors to cover your laundry area in the garage. Just to give you a bit of perspective, a typical interior door is usually around 820mm x 2040mm. This is not a fixed size as I'm sure you are aware that they come in bigger or smaller sizes. In regards to your projects size, 1500mm is not that big when you divide it into two doors. The top section of your gap will need to be framed up so that it will be able to hold the weight of the sliding door mechanism and the doors themselves.

As for the door itself, you have the option of purchasing it built or you could build the door yourself. The discussion you referred to - Handmade barn doors by @peta shows several examples of excellent home-made barn doors. This allows you the freedom to custom size your doors to fit your space. 

Here are some discussions that you might find helpful:

These are excellent examples of how you can build your own double barn doors.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pablo1
Getting Established

thanks Eric. I am familiar with those excellent articles. I am not really up to building these from scratch at present and was looking for a "cheat's" version. Something that was low cost and would still do the job while looking good (after decorative boards were fixed). Would the ready made internal doors make a suitable "base" in your opinion.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Pablo1 

My only worry is that if you use an interior door as a base, the doors thickness would be too much if you line it with timber trim. I propose thinking about using Easycraft 9 x 2400 x 1200mm easyVJ60 Primed General Purpose Wall Lining MR MDF E0 and using timber pine as trim to create a door.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Pablo1 I helped my son renovated his old house that had a similar laundry. We built a small frame to accomodate bi-folding doors. There are a range of widths available with different finishes/patterns and there is also a range of concertina ones as well. Both of these option would be easier to implement and get around that concern @EricL highlighted with internal doors as barn doors.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @Pablo1 

Nice idea to cover in the space. I think you would be putting a bunch of effort and cost into framing it all up to support the door rail.

I like both @EricL's and @Nailbag's suggestions and have another one to throw into the pile :smile:

How about treating the area like a built in wardrobe.

Hume 2340 x 520 x 35 Wardrobe Door Primed MDF Smartrobe doors to run on rails top and bottom. I have not installed doors to do this tho I have the full height old school mirrored doors at my place.  You could have them overlay each other or sit in front of the opening and slide left and right. Id wander in and have a look down the storage isle at your local Bunnings. Yeah I have done so even when I havnt needed them :smile: Love ideas!

I have looked at material style coverings for stopping heat transfer between the back of the house and front using thes multitrack rails (Ikea VIDGA Set for panel curtains, ceiling mounted/white ) I have just had a look but cant find the ones I am thinking of in Bunnings. These would also work and possibly a lot cheaper, only problem is they are not solid so sound transfer would be an issue.

Dave

Pablo1
Getting Established

thank you all for these thoughtful suggestions. They have given me a better perspective on achieving function & looks on a budget.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects