Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A workshop for Max and his dad

geoffc005
Getting Established

A workshop for Max and his dad

We needed a shed for my special needs son Max and I to build planter boxes and for other projects. The quotes to have the shed built professionally were way over our budget so we decided to do the job ourselves…

Materials

Over 100m of 90x45 H3.2 framing timber

90mm stainless steel screws

Masons building paper

Galvanized roofing fasteners

Gib-board

Laminated and engineered beams

Colorsteel roofing and cladding 

Plywood ceiling panels

Paint

Filler

Liquid-nails

Down-pipe

Flashings

Guttering

Window framing timber

Polystyrene insulation

Bracing metal

Nails

Tools

Level

Try-square

Tape-measure
Mitre-saw

Table-saw

Drill-press
Ryobi ONE:

drill x 2

multi-tool

vacuum

jig-saw

circular saw

blower

reciprocating saw

Steps

Step 1

Step 1 Concept design

IMG_6361.jpeg

Step 2

Clear box and pour concrete pad

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_6370.jpeg

Step 3

Build and erect framing

IMG_6335.jpeg

IMG_6410.jpeg

 prepare beams and ceiling panels - easier than painting them when they’re up!

Step 4

Install beams, ceiling panels, purlins, insulation, building paper and colorsteel roofing…

IMG_5283.jpeg

IMG_6989.jpeg

IMG_7009.jpeg

Step 5

Cover frame with building paper

and instal cladding

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7083.jpeg

Step 6

Install windows and ranchslider

IMG_7146.jpeg

Step 7

Instal  insulation, line walls with gib and stop gaps.,.

IMG_7082.jpeg

IMG_7151.jpeg

Step 8

Install PowerPoints and lights

Paint interior walls

Frame windows internally and externally

Install guttering 

IMG_7415.jpeg

IMG_7268.jpeg

Step 9

Finishing touches, shelving etc and the shed is operational…

IMG_7512.jpeg

IMG_7511.jpeg

  

IMG_7426.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A workshop for Max and his dad

Hi @geoffc005,

What a brilliant project that you and your son will be able to use to create wonderful memories and projects for years to come.

The design is simple but clean and extremely well done. The white weatherboard cladding looks fantastic with the green roof and the black aluminium windows and door giving a pop of colour. 

I'm intrigued by the triangular window at the back of the workshop. What is the idea behind this? Was it simply to get as much natural light in as possible? Or was there a specific utility for this window?

The exposed rafters look fantastic and are truly the highlight of the structure, but I have to say my favourite part of this project is the handshake photo after a job well done.

Congratulations on a fantastic project and thank you for sharing.

Jacob

geoffc005
Getting Established

Hi Jacob, thanks for the kind words. ‘Glad you like the shed… The windows and ranchslider came from a demolition yard - good recycling… A friend named Leigh visited when only the framing was up and she suggested leaving the triangular spaces as windows on the east wall. They took a bit of work to frame, ‘well worth it though as they now let more sunlight through in the morning. We call them the ‘Leigh lights’ - so thanks Leigh!:)

Congratulations @geoffc005. What a great result.

Many thanks for sharing your project. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join in the discussion and we look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Oh wow I love this! Well done :smile:

FrantzJosef
Finding My Feet

Geoff, you and your son are inspirational! It's a gracious structure which you have built and helps to change the 'shed' concept from purely functional.

I was also taken with your concept drawings. A question....the roof is being held together without collar ties or ceiling joists so what has been used at each end of gable roof to give it lateral stability? Once again 'well done'.

FrantzJosef

Hi FrantzJosef, thanks for the kind words and for the questiion re lateral stability… look closely at the photos… there are metal brackets joining each beam to the ridge beam and the frame along with assemblies at each end of the ridge beam to also attach it to the frame. The gable height is low and the ridge beam takes the lateral force. I’m not an engineer but that is how I see it. I decided the ridge beam and beam approach to the roof meant no need for trusses and provides an attractive and higher ceiling space. I had an engineer visit our home for another project. He looked over our work on the shed and was ok with it.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Too good @geoffc005 👏

Nailbag

@geoffc005, Geoff (?)

Got your latest, thanks. Yes I thought I saw fotos of solid beam earlier on but couldn't relocate them before my latest post. So thanks for explanation!
That method gives your bldg more ambience.

Frantz

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects