Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to weather seal shed interior?

Conor1
Finding My Feet

How to weather seal shed interior?

Seeking some help and advice on what I could do to weather seal this shed. It’s been on our property since sale and currently it’s just stores all our garden tools but our tools have gotten this red dust that has come through from the outside elements. What would be your suggestion to seal from outside elements? I have some RYOBI link systems in a box that I would also love to hang up but would need to look at putting some  marine plywood. The shed sits on a concrete slab that when it rains water comes in from the left hand side (see photos below) would you suggest using a  concrete silicon to reduce this? 
IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Shed interior weather seal?

Hi @Conor1 

Looks like you have a very well made structure to build from. The first thing to do it to weatherproof it before installing walls. Without seeing exactly what's going on externally, colourbond flashing will most likely be the fix. You can get custom lengths and shapes made up, or your local plumber can do this work for you.

I would then build timber frames out of 90mm x 35mm pine to sit in-between the post. Incorporate additional horizontal noggins to secure the Link Rails to. The best way to work the link system out is to lay all the tools you want hand on the floor out, then lay the link hooks to suit.  Map this out and use the plans on the new timber frames.  This video will give some valuable tips.

Regards, Nailbag

If you want to line the walls with my favourite lining, consider OSB sheets instead of plain ply or similar.

Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 10.28.00 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-31 at 10.28.51 PM.png

where the concrete continues under into the shed is the main issue of how water seeps through. Would flashing still fix this? 

IMG_0513.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Conor1 the image below will show you how the flashing would need to be installed to fix your issue. You can measure up the dimensions to take to your local plumbing supplies to get it made up to the required length.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 10.36.02 PM.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Conor1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a shed.

It's awesome to see that @Nailbag has offered some great advice. I thought I'd add that expanding foam could seal some of the gaps that you cannot with flashing. It's best to use it to fill the gap and then add timber moulding over the area to conceal the foam, as it's not exactly aesthetically pleasing.

Regarding where the water is entering, you could adhere an aluminium angle stop to the top of the slab, hopefully preventing water intrusion. Similar to this guide, but on the inside: How to waterproof a shed floor.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects