Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of tap am i needing?

IamJames
Community Newcomer

What kind of tap am i needing?

Tap 3.jpgTap 2.jpgTap 1.jpg

Howdy fellow Bunnings and DIY Enthuistats

Looking to know what kind of tap im needing here, the laundry tap i have under my sink seems to be causing a dripping effect despite the valve being turned off. 

I have no idea what size i need here.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of tap am i needing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @IamJames. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a tap.

Where is there leaking coming from? Depending on where it is you might be able to repair the current tap by replacing a washer. Alternatively, it can be swapped out with a new mini cistern cock. Note that the replacement of the tap is considered plumbing work, so you'll need to enlist the services of a professional.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey mitchel

So bascially the hose once removed and the tap is off it drips from the opening itself. 

What would a washer look like? 

Im more then happy to reach out to a plumber to get it replaced

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Do you need to take the hose off often, and is this causing an issue, @IamJames? My point is that one of my taps for the washing machine is exactly the same but doesn't turn off at all. That will only become an issue for me when I disconnect the washing machine. That's a problem for future me to deal with.

If you pop the blue cap off, there will be a screw inside. Undo the screw and pull the handle straight off. Under that, there will be a copper spindle with a nut. Undo the nut and pull out the spindle. Inside, you'll find a tap valve washer that is what seals the tap when turned off. Replace it, and that should resolve the leak. I'll add an image for the valve below. If you do pick one up yourself, just ask our helpful team in-store for the valve for a mini-cistern cock; it's smaller than a normal tap valve.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

FIX-A-TAP 13mm 1/2" Soft Turn Tap Valve - 2 Pack

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh sounds like a complicated endevour ill get a plumber to deal with this is something i feel i would break lol

The hose is coming off for the final time, ill be moving out, ill have to touch base with my Real estates after hours team for them to get a plumber around, for now ill screw the hose back in and let it drain into a bucket or something to contain it.

And here i just wanted to avoid problems lol

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects