Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the right order for a bathroom renovation?

SPP
Building a Reputation

What is the right order for a bathroom renovation?

Hi, 

I want to renovate my bathroom. For me, the steps are as follows: 

1) Asbestos Check. 

2) Bathroom Planning. 

3) Purchase Shower, Bathtub, Vanity, Mirror, Tiles and Wall Material. 

4) Demolition. 

5) Rough in of plumbing and electricity. 

6) Waterproofing. 

7) Tiling (walls and floor) 

😎 Grouting. 

Are these the right steps? If not, how should I re-order them. Also, apart from tiles what material can I use for the walls (and ceiling). 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Renovation

Hi @SPP,

Thank you for your question about the order of tasks in a bathroom renovation.

I would swap step 3 and 4 because demolitions can often reveal unexpected things that need to be considered. It's not of massive importance, because you can obviously go back and purchase things as the project progresses, but if you want to streamline the process, I would make this small change.

I would also add a step between 5 and 6 titled "sheeting" as you can't waterproof without any sheets being installed.

Finally, I would add a final step called "fit off" which is where all the rough in is attached to the shower, bath, vanity and toilet and all fixtures are installed.

In summary my steps would be:

1. Asbestos Check
  2. Bathroom Planning
  3. Demolition
  4. Purchase Materials
  5. Rough in
  6. Sheeting
  7. Waterproofing
  8. Tiling and grouting
  9. Fit off. 

Generally, a bathroom will use tiles for the floor and up the wall of the shower, however there are options like these wet area panels that can be used. Usually, wet area plasterboard such as this Gyprock Aquachek™ Plasterboard will be used for bathroom walls and ceilings and Villaboard will be used in the wet areas such as the shower. 

You might like to check out How To Plan a Bathroom Renovation for some additional guidance and our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for some inspiration.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

SPP
Building a Reputation

Thanks @JacobZ 

Regarding the sheeting, do the wet area panels go on-top of the Aquacheck? Or can they be placed on the Studs directly?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

Here's the installation guide for Wall Art wet area panels. Provided the correct corner pieces and sealant is used they can be installed directly over studs, and no sheeting is required under them. However, for a more robust solution, I'd recommend installing Villaboard in the shower, waterproofing it and the floor and then installing the wet area panels over that. That way, you have a waterproofed layer under the sheets, too.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects