Workshop
Ask a question

How to upgrade 80's powder room?

tchat
Finding My Feet

How to upgrade 80's powder room?

IMG-20240710-WA0005.jpg

Hi all,

I have a powder room that I want to mordernise without removing tiles or anything. It's 80's wet area so I don't want to open a can of worms by removing any fixtures or drilling any holes. Just looking for some superficial makeover ideas. Everything is in working condition, just needs some love. 

Thanks in advance!

alla
Finding My Feet

Re: Upgrade 80's powder room

Hi T, we had the same issue but not the $$$ to do a full revamp. Not sure if you've got a shower in your powder room, but we do, so we've updated the shower head to a flexispray and all the tap and basin ware as well, along with towel racks. You can paint tiles as well if you're up for it, but just dorenos.jpging this bare minimum has made a big difference to our bathroom for now.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tchat 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about updating your powder room.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W. Perhaps you'll pick up some tips that you can use on your powder room revamp.

In order to give our members a better idea of what the powder room looks like, would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the room? Once we see what it looks like, we can then make recommendations on how to upgrade the room.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @alla 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your ideas on bathroom upgrades.

The black tapware and shower head has given the room a bit of a modern touch. If you were to combine this with tile painting it would totally transform the look of the room.

Again, thank you for sharing your ideas.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @tchat 

Have a look at tile paint, my bathroom is around the same age and I have the same questions in my head :smile: I have followed tile paint and it seems to have improved vastly from what it was even 5 years ago. Its what I intend to use when I redo /half reno my bathroom from the disgusting cream colour it is now :smile:

If we have some pics we may have a few more ideas to suggest. And yes we all are nervous about posting our rooms but really I think all the members here see it as a puzzle to be solved not to have a sticky beak :smile:

Dave

tchat
Finding My Feet

@alla thanks for your response. Love that black tap ware! I wish there was scope for me to amp up the tap wares but I just have a small basin with tap and I feel updating that tiny tap won't create much difference in our powder room. 

I have just added the photo of the powder room in the post

Thanks Dave! I have uploaded the photo in my post now. Let me know if any other angle would be better to conceptualize any reno ideas.

Tile paint is one of the options I was exploring. The other is a mix of VJ panels(over the tiles) and wall paper above that. Do you think it's possible to attach VJ on the tiles?

Also, the floor is ugly as anything - any ideas for that?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @tchat 

I do like the VJ boards as definently they are on trend :smile: Not sure how well they would stick over tiles and really wouldnt want to damage the underlying waterproofing if its ok. You could go for the paneling above the tiles on one wall to give a different feel. 

There is also a differeant tile paint for flooring. or go for a waterproogf style mat, or several that are switched out. Just dont cover that drainage hole :smile:

Light colours for the walls and a fresh white ceiling.

Change the exhaust fan to a newer style, lighting and light shades really make a difference to the room. The "Warmth" of the light can change a rooms feel.

Keep the sink, change the cabinet to a longer one and use that space next to the toilet?

Clean up the manhole tho fresh paint will have it blend in nicely.

Look at the tapware and shower head, consider changing them to a more modern type. I went from a cream rounded base to a chrome cross tap head and love the newness.

Last thing I can think of is new accessories, toothbrush holders, toilet roll holders, soap dishes. It brings a new vibe to something you see everyday and its the first thing you will really be waking up to. Warm lighting is a def place to head to.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tchat 

Thank you so much for posting a photo of your powder room. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree with his suggestion of painting the wall and floor tiles, as this is an economical way to change it without spending a fortune. Another option would be to use vinyl sheeting as a quick cover over the dark floor tiles.

Your vanity basin still looks quite modern, and I would not count out changing the tapware to something new such as the Mondella Resonance Matte Black Pin Lever Basin Mixer WELS 5 Star 6L/min to give it an upgraded look. 

If it is still within the budget, I suggest changing your toilet to the Estilo WELS 4 Star 4.5L/Full Close Coupled Rimless S Trap Toilet Suite. It's a ceramic toilet suite that is close coupled and does not need a flush pipe between pan and cistern giving it a very modern look.

For further convenience, please remember that the store offers a toilet installation service. I recommend speaking to special orders team in your local store to book a service. 

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @RenoRach1 and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @tchat,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Just thought I'd add that the article 20 bathroom makeovers using paint has lots of great inspiration for you from our clever and creative community.

We look forward to seeing how you can transform your powder room.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects