Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace leaking Caroma shower mixer?

Alvin8073
Just Starting Out

How to replace leaking Caroma shower mixer?

231DFD2E-DE14-4BBB-8896-D644237F9A9A.jpeg

  

10ECEDD4-7B0A-4B18-A1B2-0A429093D7D2.jpeg

Hi, 

My faucet in the shower is leaking and apparently water has gone into the wall. I was hoping to replace the cartridge but seems the handle is corroded inside and cannot be removed. I asked a plumber to replace the shower mixer as a whole,  but was told I need a tile cutter to cut the tile to access the valve. 

Anyone has any suggestion on how to proceed? Is there an easier way I can try before cutting the tile? 

The shower mixer is caroma shower mixer 

3146FBD5-E487-4F81-A69F-D17A350A8CDE.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace this leaking shower mixer

Hello @Alvin8073 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your shower mixer. 

There are two ways to get access to your shower mixer. First is through your tiled wall. The tile that is within the vicinity of the shower mixer will need to be removed in order for the plumber to replace the old shower mixer. 

The second method is to go in from the other side of the wall. If it is inside a wardrobe or a plaster wall, it will be easier to repair rather than going through the tiled wall.

But before you begin, I suggest tyring to remove the handle and replace the cartridge. It's possible that the old cartridge is leaking from the front and is causing the leak to travel into your wall. If the leak at the front is repaired, it's possible that you won't need to demolish your walls.

Please refer to your plumber regarding this before you take further action.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects