Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need flooring ideas for bathroom

Jerreemon
Finding My Feet

Need flooring ideas for bathroom

Hello, 

I am converting an existing room into a laundry/toilet/bathroom (I am keeping the shower in the same place). 

My concern is having floorboards (on a slab) in a wet area. 

Ideally would rip up the floors and tile but budget won't allow. Any other ideas? 

I was thinking micro cement. 

Cheers,

Bed Ground floor.jpgJerry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Flooring ideas

Hello @Jerreemon 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about flooring ideas.

I propose removing your timber flooring and replacing it with Hybrid Flooring Planks. It's 100 percent waterproof and can be installed in high moisture areas including kitchens, laundries and bathrooms. Please note that this flooring can't be installed inside the shower cubicle itself. There is also the option of installing Vinyl Sheeting, the timber flooring will need to be removed before the vinyl sheeting is laid down on the concrete floor.

Aside from tiles, these are the only materials I can think of that are strong enough to withstand the heavy moisture of the bathroom area.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jerreemon 

What @EricL has suggested is an excellent solution. The only other one other than tiles which are out is to polish the slab floor if you like that look. You can hire concrete polishers and then protect it with a non-slip sealant. 

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Jerreemon 

Mmmmm I will have to bow out on knowledge of this one, I would also suggest to follow @EricL 's suggestions as he is a wealth of knowledge :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need flooring ideas for bathroom

Hi @Jerreemon,

I just wanted to touch on whether the floor area outside the shower cubicle has had a waterproofing membrane applied under the timber flooring as per building standards for wet areas. It's something to bear in mind if you are adding additional flooring. Although the Hybrid Vinyl Planks @EricL has suggested are waterproof, they do not exempt the substrate from needing a waterproof membrane.

I just wanted to raise this in case the area hasn't been waterproofed under the timber flooring as it could cause a headache in the future if you needed to pull everything up to apply one.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects