Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there a limit to bathroom tap reseating?

JayNJo
Just Starting Out

Is there a limit to bathroom tap reseating?

Hi There!

I am needing to replace the washer in my bathroom sink tap as it constantly drips even when turned off as hard as possible (I'd worry about breaking the tap trying to tighten it more)
When I have removed the tap and looked at the washer it is definintely in need or replacing but I have noticed that the "seat" of the inner area (where the washer seats made of what looks like brass) is in need of re-seating - thanks Bunning community for so many posts about what to look for :smile:

My only concern is that it looks like there is pitting or damage on the brass and might need a reasonable amount of turns of the re-seating tool to clean it up perfectly.

I just want to know, is it possible to go too far with reseating? Is there plenty of material in the brass that needs to be reseated?

The pitting is only minor but I would hate to be "re-seating" and cut down too deep.

NOTE: The reseating tool is one of the handheld ones that screw into the tap fitting and is hand operated with a handle.

Thanks in advance

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is there a limit to bathroom tap reseating?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @JayNJo. We're pleased to have you join the community. Feel free to hit the Ask a question button anytime you need a hand.  

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. Sorry about that.

Let me see if some other helpful members can share their thoughts: @TedBear@JDE@LePallet.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @JayNJo , While I'm sure that there must be some limit, I have reseated taps many times over the years at my home and never felt that I was anywhere near thinning out the brass. It's pretty thick in that area. Be careful when using the reseater as they can "chatter", leaving waves in the seat if you don't keep the down pressure firm and controlled while turning it.

Best wishes for your reseating.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JayNJo,

As @TedBear has mentioned, you'll have no issue resurfacing some minor pitting. You could grind away for hours before you went through the seat. Some people try to grind cracks out of them.

Let us know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JayNJo
Just Starting Out

Thanks so much for the advice @TedBear and @MitchellMc , this was very helpful :smile:

Off to do some re-seating.

Thanks again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects