Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upgrade halogen downlight to LED?

victorlich
Finding My Feet

How to upgrade halogen downlight to LED?

I want to upgrade all the existing halogen downlights that are on my kitchen and bathroom ceiling to LED, I have tried to simply swap the bulb to LED (https://www.bunnings.com.au/osram-mr16-led-520lm-daylight-5-5w-downlight-5-pack_p0445029) and notice they were flickering, hence I have to change them back to the old bulbs. Luckily, 1 of them is working because I have changed 1 of the failure transformer last year to (https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-cougar-60va-downlight-transformer-with-flex-and-plug_p4390265), however when I did some research, it stated that I cannot use non-dimmable bulb on a dimmable transformer, therefore what is the best solution to carry on the upgrade to LED?

The per-existing transformers are as followed
20221101_103501.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upgrading halogen downlight to LED

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @victorlich. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about downlight transformers.

Just to clarify, is there a dimmer on these lights? If so, the HPM Cougar 60VA Downlight Transformer With Flex And Plug will work with dimmable LED downlights and a trailing edge dimmer. You might find that standard LED downlights that you've purchased will work, but they could behave irregularly. Typically, if you have a dimmer on the circuit you need transformers and globes that are compatible.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thank you for your reply, I dont have a dimmer for those lights

Victor

Hi @victorlich  it is likely that these LEDs don't have the correct circuitry to manage the output of the electronic transformers that you have. An incandescent lamp doesn't change its brightness fast enough for you to see any flicker from the output variations in an electronic transformer and in any case those lamps draw enough current for the transformer to operate correctly. Some LEDs often don't draw enough current and will require an LED Transformer.

Your alternatives will need to:-

a) find LEDs that are designed to work with your Electronic transformers. (They are designed to draw a little extra current to ensure that the transformer doesn't start switching on and off in order to lower it's current output - and thus causing the flicker).

b) Replace all your transformers with LED Transformers - which could be expensive.

c) Remove the transformers altogether and use 250V LEDs - but this will require also changing the lamp holders. (Also involves expense - unless you personally know an electrician who loves you.)

I think the best bet will be to find LEDs that are designed to work with Electronic Transformers. You may need to consult a lighting expert to find out which ones to buy.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @victorlich flickering will occur when dimmable LED lights are connected to older style dimmers. It can even occur with even connected to electronic dimmers at full brightness. There is a range of compatibility reasons this occurs. 

Since you state that you don’t have dimmers on those lights and they are still flickering then you need to match the LEDs to the right transformer. If you have plug in electrical connections, then simply replace the lights with ones that have inbuilt transformers. Good quality ones are around $10-$12 with adjustable colour temp. 

Hi @victorlich,

Regardless of not having a dimmer, using HPM Cougar 60VA Downlight Transformers With Flex And Plug and dimmable LED downlights would be a solution. Alternatively, as mentioned, you could try different bulbs to see if you can find one that doesn't flicker on your existing transformer, but that might be a bit of a trial and error type situation.

Mitchell

Hi all,

I found an alternative, since I am able to access the GPO on each transformer, I have bought this LED downlight and replace the whole fitting and it is working perfectly

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-6w-tri-colour-dimmable-led-downlight_p0508735

thank you for everyone who assist in my post, much appreciated

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @victorlich 

Thank you very much for the update on your LED lighting upgrade. I'm glad to hear that the Arlec 6W Tri Colour Dimmable LED Downlight has worked out for you and that the light is no longer flickering.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects