Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damaged ceiling close to exhaust fan?

Annjoy
Finding My Feet

How to fix damaged ceiling close to exhaust fan?

Hi Online members, it will be much appreciated if you can give some advice on this damaged ceiling close to our bathroom exhaust fan .new to this situation for the first time in life with no clue how to fix it .any recommendations will be great .

we believe it is due to the condensations from the shower heads & exhaust fan was not sucking it up .

1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix damaged ceiling close to exhaust fan .

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Annjoy. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing mould.

It looks like you have yourself a decent outbreak of mould there. I recommend you start off by following this guide: How to remove mould stains from walls

After following the guide and killing the mould, ensure your fan is working. If not, have an electrician replace it. You might like to use our Exhaust fan Installation Service.

Now that the outbreak is under control and you have a working fan, I encourage you to repaint the bathroom with semi-gloss bathroom paint. Semi-gloss is far less susceptible to mould outbreaks and staining than low-sheen or flat paint. Before painting, use Flood 750ml Mould Action Pre-Paint Treatment on the walls and ceiling. To the paint, I recommend adding Protite 75ml Mould Defender Paint Additive.

By replacing the fan, killing the mould with vinegar, using the pre-paint treatment, and applying semi-gloss bathroom paint with the anti-mould additive, you'll have achieved a robust anti-mould coating in your bathroom.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank You Mitchell for your prompt response & Advice .Much Appreciate .

the ceiling close to the fan is wet & torn .How can we fix that I have marked the spot for you .

123.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Annjoy,

If the ceiling is wet and torn, this tends to point to moisture ingress other than from humidity in the bathroom. Have you had the roof checked for leaks? 

To repair that section you'd really have to cut the compromised plasterboard out back to the nearest timbers and replace the area with new sheeting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank You Mitchell.

We haven't checked it for leaks yet .but will be shortly . 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects